Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Beginning of Year Quilt Class - Bonnie Hunter - Smith Mountain Morning

It is day 3 and I have really been looking forward to this particular class.  I collected all year for this one and knew that I wanted to do it in green/brown instead of the original blue/brown.  I have been stockpiling greens and browns for quite awhile and have a good variety now.  Are we ready to work with tri-recs again so soon after Celtic Solstice?  I sure hope so, cos here we go.

I really have to put my head down and work today so that I can finish one of each block.  I take very little time to talk to anyone and just sew, sew, sew.  I don't even really talk with Allison or Bonnie much AND my camera is also ignored.  Between Bonnie and I, I have a few pictures to share though.


We learn techniques with the easy angle, companion angle, and tri-rec rulers.  It seems that no matter how many times I see these demos, I learn something new.  I also become more and more of a fan of them.  They make triangles just oh so easy.  Now that I have had an in person demo on the tri-recs, I know what I did wrong with my Celtic Solstice units and do not repeat the mistake.  My star points come out oh so lovely.


Once those are finished, we start on our log blocks and I LOVE THIS BLOCK.  It goes together before class is over and I have accomplished my goal.  However, part way through this block Bonnie asks for us to be quiet and shares with us her thoughts on how we look at ourselves.  With some personal issues going on this week -- it hits me hard and soon the tears are flowing down my check as well as hers.  Ladies - we all really do need to stop being so hard on ourselves.  I know I beat myself up over oh so  much until I cannot sleep or eat and my body is so full of stress that I cannot move.  Being here this week has not only been good for my obsession, but also for my soul.  Thank you Bonnie for your compassion and wisdom.  Also --- the hugs through tears.

Here are my finished blocks:  (a little blurry - sorry - I thought it was because I still had tears in my eyes)


Another day has come and gone.  I was asked if I wanted to return on Friday for another class that has some openings and after thinking about it all day -- I am going to.  Yay!  I have to pack up though as I will not be here for tomorrow's repeat of the mystery class.  Time to go home and relax a bit.  Will cut fabric tomorrow.  What an incredible way to spend New Years Day and the perfect way to set the tone for my whole year.  I am so glad that I have made this a tradition.  I will be back in 2015 and so will Allison and Bonnie.

OH OH OH --- and the reveal for Celtic Solstice came out today.  It is soooo pretty.  I hope I can start putting blocks together within the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment