Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 2024 Quilt and Life Update

 

Our theme this year, JOY!!!  I believe we all need a bit of a help in adding this to our lives.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a fair shot.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go for June: Where is this year going? June has arrived and the joy of summer has begun.  Take a few minute to find the JOY in the little things.  It's really very simple.  Check out a cloud or flower - listen to a child - sew a straight seam.  Small things that make us smile.  That's what it is all about.  

Now, if you are new to this blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.  There are NO ADS.  Never have had them, don't intend to start unless my whole world gets turned upside down.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far the past couple of years, but I'm gonna keep on trying), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st - Our Sew Along is continuing and this is the Dear Jane LINK if you wish to join in and the June blocks are:  

I'm using my own random number generator, running a UFO Challenge in the Facebook group, and awarding prizes.  This month it is: 10 and for me that is a Snail Trail from my first class at a Doan Girls Retreat in 2022.  It'll feel good to have it done before I go again in July.  


We are embarking on a 6-week road trip this morning.  Lots of family to see and memories to be made.  Our grandson, Jared, is house sitting and so a few less worries for us.  We  think.  Here is a LINK to follow along with the first couple of days.


Binding happens along the way.


Texas


More binding.  Believe it or not, same project, different light.


Today's TA-DA -- it is the UFO for June.  I know, I know.  I knew it was coming up and worked ahead just a bit BUT I did not finish until today.



Final stop for the night is in Farmington, NM.


2nd - On the road working our way north.  A stop at Shiprock.


Mister out doing what Mister does.


Onto another project and binding.  I'm getting the pillow sham for Ava finished and it matches the Pressed Flowers quilt she is getting.




It is TA-DONE by the time we get to Provo.


Off to spend time with the grands.  Love this part.


3rd - Out time in Utah really begins today and here is a LINK to all the fun of the first two days.


I did stop at a quilt shop called Harmony and here is the Spotlight LINK to see how cute it was.


A little bit of crafting with Mairead - always fun.


4th - I woke up early in our little house and started working on a project layout.  This UFO is from my first trip to Missouri and I'm heading there next month for the third trip.  Goodness.  Well, I'm laying out letters.  Can you see them?  My eye goes to the white first and then it doesn't make sense.  The white is the background.



Some selfie love with my beautiful grands.




And a little fun with  my daughter.


5th - I managed to get a pen at Hobby Lobby and have written on the labels that I needed to prepare for drops this trip.  Yay me.



AND - all my letters are complete and ready to sew.


The link for days 3 and 4 is HERE and there is a great deal more to see.  We spent the day just being together and playing with grands.  An evening trip to the park happened and the kids really had a great time.  Maybe I did, as well.


More selfie fun.  I think I got them all now.



6th - Another early  morning and I finish up cutting all the remaining parts for the letter wall hanging.


Then it's off to Cassie's for a day at the splash pad.


An evening out with Miss Ophelia to celebrate her upcoming Princess birthday.  Yep, she got a tiara.


7th - Our last day in Utah and some fun at the zoo.  For all the fabulous pictures, here is your LINK.  It's hot here, by the way.


Such a fun time with these grands.  Yep, Torsten being Torsten.


Me and my baby.  Miss her so much every day.


We make it to Pocatello for our stop tonight.  Nature rewarded our day with a beautiful end.


8th - On the way to Montana today.  Say what?


Ahhhh.


In Ronan, we find a quilt show and stop in.  It's a decent show with many quilts focusing on panels.


I did see this and thought of how perfectly simple this solution is.


AND - our day ends at Mom's house with the deer welcoming us back.


9th - Our time here begins today and here is the first week LINK if you wish to peek in.  Time with family is always the best.



I did manage to get Easy Street bound.  Yay!!



10th - Evening event included some very cool birds.


11th - A walk to the lake nets me this gorgeous view.


12th - Up early and laying out quilts.  I get two finished before anyone else comes out.



Then . . . drumroll please . . . sewing happened.  I have DM 2022 completely ready for MSQC.


Including backing, binding, and label.


AND I made a dent on Sophie parts.


13th - Working on binding Barn Star today.


It takes all day, but it is TA-DONE!!


Label is written on and ready to gift to my sister.


Indian for dinner --- so yummy.


14th - Big moment was out to the Raven in the evening and enjoying time on the lake.



15th - More sewing happened.  I started putting CC together.



And we ended the day with a family gathering.


Some of my greats (nieces and nephews)


My nephew, Zach.


And a great little hike with my love.  I do feel whole here.


16th - The start of our second week in Bigfork and here is the LINK if you wish to check it out.  All I can say is it is gorgeous everywhere I look.


17th - Sis came down for a visit and I gifted her with her quilt.  Also gave the Snail Trail to Mom and I thought I took a picture of it on her bed, but must have gotten distracted.


Sewing for the day consisted of finishing CC setting.


As well as some more Sophie parts.


18th - I am starting in on DJ blocks today and NEED to make a dent in the stack.  This one is done and the applique for another is ready to go.


Four more into the done column.


19th - More DJ blocks happening.  This is really pressing on me and I want them behind me before the next leg of our journey.


Mister is on the roof - not scary at all.


And family for dinner.  Pretty much a perfect day.


20th - I spent the morning appliqueing the last two blocks.  Woohoo.


July's blocks are ready to go.


Mom's peonies for y'all to enjoy.


As well as an evening at the river.


21st - Last night here so dinner down at the lake with the gang.  Several goose families joined in.



Some selfie fun.



22nd - Good-byes and the next leg of our journey begins.  Thank you, Momma, for a nice time and we'll see you in October.  We are off to Billings


Swan Lake


A stop in Seeley Lake and a quilt shop visit.  Here is the LINK to the spotlight.  I found some more bee fabric for the July retreats.


Seeley Lake


When we get to Avon, we make another stop at the Birdseye Mercantile and I find a backing for my Country Christmas quilt.  LOVE this one on the wall.  For more about this place, here is a LINK to the spotlight I did a year ago.


We stop in Three Forks for lunch and I've got a TA-DONE.  Finished the binding while riding.  We make it to Billings and arrive at our son's house.  Time for another round and I'm looking forward to a relaxing week.



23rd - Our big activity for today is to go to Rhiana's for Isla's Birthday Party.  Here is a LINK to all the fun.  I was able to gift her with her "big-girl" quilt.  




24th - It's a perfect, quiet, relaxing day at Matt's house.  I could live in his backyard.



25th - I'm on my own today while everyone works, so I'm cutting out an upcoming Halloween quilt.  No, it's not new this year as Jen and I bought these kits last year and I have not made a bit of progress on it.


Evening entertainment as they burn the ditch behind the house.


26th - I've had another perfectly relaxing day at Matts.  Truly.  Not much to show for it, but I'm calm and at peace.  Mister and Matt in the garden.


27th - The highlight of the day was a family dinner out.  So much love in my heart tonight.


28th - It's about time I actually used the machine I've brought along and set up.  Work on DM 2023 happened.  I'm making progress.  I actually got the borders made as well, but no proof for some bizarre reason.


29th - We've made the switch to Rhiana's house and spent some time out and about with the older girls.


Family time and a chance to visit.  Tomorrow, Rhiana and Kasey leave on their trip.


30th - Gammy and Grandpa time begins.  



OH - I am teaching Elena some embroidery so she can decorate her shorts.


That's it for this month.  I know it was not the most productive, but time with family is invaluable.  I would not do a thing differently - I've thoroughly enjoyed this month.

Let's start the second half of the year out right.  TRAVEL!!  It doesn't have to be far.  You can explore your own neck of the woods so to speak.  Find joy is seeing something new.  Watch a travel show on the television, read a book that explores other areas.  It'll be worth it.  Go and journey forward.




Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.  I've made quite a few category changes this year - anything to help stay on top of things.

Projects ready to quilt by me:   

Barn Star - DONE and gifted
Easy Street Sew Sampler - DONE
Snail Trail - DONE and gifted

UFO's to finish:  *means on UFO Monthly Challenge sheet

Alphabet project from MSQC 2022 - 
Second Half Moon Rising project from MSQC 2022 - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
*Rhododendron Trail - 
*Sandcastles - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
Row by Rows - 
*Rachel's Sewing Room - quilt borders and attach all parts
Desert Sky - 
*Ruby Jubilee - 
Feathered Star BOW - 
Designer Mystery 2022 - Ready to drop off at MSQC

Current Projects:

Designer Mystery 2023 - Worked on alternate blocks and borders
Dear Jane - Current
Country Christmas BOM  - Ready to drop off at MSQC - picked up backing in Avon
Harry Potter BOM - 
Merrie Halloween BOM - 
One Block Wonder - 
Looking Through the Lattice - 
Periwinkle Star - 
Sophie-Claire Block Exchange - Blocks A done
Paper-piece Project each month - DONE

New for this year: 

Turtle Items
Pillow Exchange
Penguin Mug Rugs


Items being held for MSQC in July

*Anna's Baskets - ready to quilt
Barbara Brachman Civil War Sampler - ready to quilt
Oh Happy Day - ready to quilt
Forever My Valentine - ready to quilt
Summer Moon - ready to quilt
Loyal Union - ready to quilt 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2024 Monthly Posts - 

No comments:

Post a Comment