Friday, May 31, 2024

May 2024 Quilt and Life Update

 

Our theme this year, JOY!!!  I believe we all need a bit of a help in adding this to our lives.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a fair shot.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go for May:  It's my month!!  The world is green and full of joy.  so - how can we focus that joy this month?  How about with friends?  That's my plan and you should do the same.  Allow the joy of friendships to permeate your soul this and every month.  

Now, if you are new to this blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.  There are NO ADS.  Never have had them, don't intend to start unless my whole world gets turned upside down.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far the past couple of years, but I'm gonna keep on trying), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st - 

Our Sew Along is continuing and this is the Dear Jane LINK if you wish to join in and the May blocks are:  

I'm using my own random number generator, running a UFO Challenge in the Facebook group, and awarding prizes.  This month it is: 11 and for me that is a Pat Sloan Sew-Along from 2023 I think.  I bit off more than I could chew last year and this is the result.  Time to get it done.


Good Morning to all.  I guess I felt the need to make a pretty breakfast today.  Yum.


A new month is ahead.  I always start with a plan and hope to achieve good results - today is no different.  Off we go.  First up is the monthly paper-piece project.  It's cut and ready for sewing.


Some time at the computer has everything updated, balanced, bills paid, and the UFO Challenge bucket all current.  This is how many have met the first 5 months of the challenge.  Pretty decent.


My Merrie Halloween block is here and ready to be played with.  Once everything is ironed on, I head to the studio for some applique work.  Now to bury threads.


The large block I was gifted is going onto the frame for Bekah's birthday gift.  She will LOVE it and it will fit her life perfectly.


Intrinsic for the evening time together.  Wednesdays are the bomb.  Mister got a beer that is made using the barrels from another past business we frequented and also helped out for events (One LINK).  Calais Winery moved to the Hill Country and it was a loss to us.  This was also the winery we used for our wedding.  

We ended the night at Sonic.  I was craving something sweet and it fit the bill.


Peanut Butter Cup Blast for the win.


2nd - Quilting happens first thing this morning.  Woot woot.  This one is coming off the frame and will get it's binding attached so I can have it ready to deliver at retreat.  Bekah is coming as a surprise to her mom and I'm looking forward to time with both of them.


Also - the monthly project is TA-DONE!!!


Bekah's gift trimmed and binding attached.  Hand stitching has commenced during the evening together time.


3rd - The days are moving quick and I have started organizing retreat stuff.  I want to be absolutely sure that I have everything I need.  However, I also promised Mister some cookies.


My dining room is in full prep mode.  All the projects are being cut and prepped for retreat.  THEN - Mister takes me out for a lovely night together at Perry's Steakhouse for my birthday.



This appetizer was the highlight of the night - honest.  So, so good.  Smoked Salmon.


Followed up by a wonderful steak and some very spicy corn that I couldn't eat.  


4th - Today is my Birthday and my granddaughter, Malea's, as well.  Phone calls ensue and it's always fun to have a birthday buddy.  Here is a LINK to the wonderful day I get to have.  First stop is the zoo and time with the hippos.


Followed by breakfast at Davis Street Espresso.  Mister always hits my favorites during birthday season.  


We end the night with family and Chinese food - not my favorite, but it's where they wanted to go.


Today's treasures.  I am a most blessed person.


5th -  My birthday weekend continues and here is the LINK for today.  First up is a new bakery/coffee shop called Lubellas.  Then Costco for a few items before going home to set up my new tablet.  Then off to Four Bullets for a nice glass of beer while listening to music on patio (camera stayed home) and a finish at Velvet Taco.  Such a nice day.

6th - My morning got started a little rough while dealing with trying to get my prescription picked up.  Such a screwed up mess.  It has been successfully obtained and now onto emails for retreat.  So much to do, so little time.  The mantra of my life, it seems.   Now to start prepping my Ultimate Bag.  Yes, I'm giving this a try.  First problem I run into is that the pieces from the kit I purchased don't match the supply list.  This should be fun.



Dear Jane is started as I'm hoping to have this behind me before leaving town.


Binding is finished and Bekah's wall hanging/bed runner is TA-DONE.  


7th - Another granddaughter with a birthday today.  Fun phone calls and then onto my day. I promised Mister I'd make a lamb stew out of the remaining lamb roast.  Never done this before, so here goes.


I've finished cutting the bags for retreat - yep, The Ultimate Bag and another one that Frieda wants to make together.  I'm set.


Now to tackle the Charade purse cut and prep.


More work on Dear Jane.


AND - my Merrie Halloween block for this month is finished, complete with embroidery.  Checking stuff off is such a good feeling.


8th - Mister got me a deluxe pedicure/manicure for my birthday and I'm getting it done today so that all is nice for retreat tomorrow.  That's pretty much it for today.  Went home to load the car for an early departure tomorrow.  I'm tired and the 10 days haven't even begun.  Goodness.


9th - I'm off to retreat.  After a quick drive to our new location, I arrive at the center and begin the process of setting up.  Here is a LINK to all of our antics - stop in and enjoy.


My home for the next 10 days.  I have a long list of items to complete and have high hopes that I can achieve it.


Jen arrives with a beautiful flower pot Mother's Day gift.


I get to present my granddaughter with her birthday gift.





For today, I managed to get the bookcase feet finished.


And the label for HP as well.


10th - Day 2 and some fun for the evening.  Apparently, my hat causes great laughter.



Some work on Sophie-Claire happens.


Additionally, I got a start on my Ultimate Bag!!!  This is one difficult pattern to follow.  Beware if you choose to make one.


We're supposed to have the Northern Lights tonight, but no chance of viewing due to the clouds.


11th - Day 3.  Another look at the sky and still no chance of the wonderful beauty.



I spent time today working on a puzzle.  Yep, really making progress on that list of mine.


Last ladies --- was a fabulous day.


Oh, I did accomplish a few things.  One Sophie block and starting on my grocery bags.  Also, more progress on the Ultimate Bag.


12th - Happy Mother's Day!!  I really didn't do much.  The last day of the first session I spent the day relaxing.  Group shot of the wonderful ladies I spend my time with.  (Missing Tonia - so sad.)


Three generations spending the weekend together has been fabulous.


13th - A wiggly visitor at retreat today.  Good thing we are between sessions and fewer people here.  Dinner out at Soul Fire in Cleburne.  



Something is sewn - I finished the blocks for Sparklettes and made the layout.


14th - Sparklettes top/backing/binding/label are ready.  One checkmark on the list.


One of the Sew Sampler projects (Easy Street) from 2023 - blocks are finished and layout accomplished. 


Backing is done as well.


Completed top.


Binding and label are finished as well.  I'm ready to quilt another one.  Checkmark given.


Great ending to the evening with friends.


15th - Second session of retreat starts today.  In between hostessing, I get  my Snail Trail laid out and set.


Another wonderful ending.  Time with these women will always be treasured.


16th - Today is a stormy wonder.  So very cool and yet scary at the same time.


The watching crew.


Final borders are on.


Backing/binding/label finished as well.  Another one ready to quilt.  More checkmarks - woohoo.


Starting the layout of my One Block Wonder - sorting the blocks.


Grocery tote TA-DONE's


Love and laughter to end the day.


17th - First thing in the morning, I do the layout for my One Block Wonder.  I think I'm going to love this one.  


Gwennie and I won at LCR tonight.  Ya kinda had to be there and I've picked the acceptable pics to share.



My Ultimate Bag only has snaps remaining.  I'm calling it good for this retreat and will finish at home.


18th - It's our last full day at retreat.  I still have items on my list ---- go, go, go.  Sophie-Claire parts are coming together.


AND this month's assignment is done.  Yay!!


The last group - including Tonia.


Yep, I'm here too.


My amazing partners.  It takes all three of us to put on a wonderful retreat.


Last night -- time together being treasured until July.


The spoils.  Always fun.


19th - Last minute views before heading home.  



Getaway Ranch OUT!  See you in a couple of months.


My sweetie is ready to head out so OHB it is.


More birthday gifts arrived while I was at retreat.  Simply WONDERFUL.


20th - Back to reality --- actually cooking a meal.  So yummy.


Mister is trimming trees out front so I go to help and then cut the new block for DM 2024.


21st - Days are clicking down and we are leaving town on the 1st of June.  So much to do.  Today, quilting Sparklettes.  This is my UFO for the month.


I'm soooooo close to the end when I run out of thread in the bobbin.  ARGH.


Just a bit later - it's coming off the frame.


And then I immediately loaded Snail Trail - 


Back into the house to cut, cut, cut.  So many projects to kit up for the upcoming trip.


The dining room table seems to have never ending tasks.  I am so hoping to empty it before we leave.


One block sewn ---- the DM block for this month.


Ruby Jubilee laid out.  Perhaps I should rename this one Amethyst Jubilee.  It's another puzzle quilt.


22nd - Starting in on the small blocks for Ruby Jubilee.  Lots of flying geese hooked together in groups.  Gotta make sure they are flying the right directions.


Starting in on the remaining Dear Jane blocks.  One down.

 
A big block for RJ put together.


Snail Trail quilted and coming off the frame.  I am a moving unit today.


Big block number 2 for RJ.  Goodness.


Barn Star is now loaded.  I'm getting so tired - this is it for today.


Off to Intrinsic for dinner.  Yay --- psst - pic is of Mister handing out finger puppets.


23rd - I am so staying on task.  This next Dear Jane block has all the items I dislike - curves and templates.  Seriously, what is worse than that combination?


Another RJ big block finished.


AND - I've finished some of the alternate blocks for the DM 2023.  I am so loving this project.


Big block number 2 for today --- this is going together nicely.


Ending the day with parts for more alternate DM blocks AND the horrid DJ block.  Don't look too close.


Mister's Naan pizza for the win tonight.


24th - I'm still on a fabulous train.  I cannot believe how well I'm doing this month.  First thing - a DJ block appliqued and finished.


Out in the studio, I am cranking things out.  Big block 1 for today


Another Dear Jane block.


The stars for the alternate DM blocks.


Barn Star label - I'm getting lazy with this one.  It is what it is.


Big block 2 - loving making these as leader/enders.


All the Alternate blocks are now finished!!  Are they not gorgeous?  So excited for this one.


AND Big block number 3 ends the day.


25th - Staying on task, I am back in the studio first thing.  I want to make a pillow sham for Ava's birthday present that goes along with her quilt.  I have enough leftover fabric to pull it off so I am ready to rock and roll.  Block done.


Mister is awake and we are off to the coffee shop for some together time.


Back home, I have finished up the Dear Jane blocks for June.  What a hallelujah moment.


Throwing parts down for the sham.  I have a lot of bonus triangles leftover from the main quilt to use.


Another big block for RJ.  How many more are there?


Prepping, prepping, prepping.  All of the remaining parts for RJ are cut.


Time to let loose a little.  We are off to a meadery.



I LOVE the little bee lights here --- sat and ordered some for the July retreat.


A stop at a new to us place for a pizza and hot dog.  We had no idea that it came with fries and this is just soooooo much food.



Driving back into Dallas ---- the sky is crazy weird.  Something is about to happen.


Evening is spent working on Sparklettes binding.  All in all - a pretty productive day for a Saturday.


26th - Out to the studio while Mister sleeps in - I get the sham top put together and the binding as well.


Another big block


THIS is my remaining fabric from Pressed Flowers after a quilt and a sham.  Crazy.


Seriously, check out just how much is here.


Down to the grocery store and I see trees down from the winds last night.


Mister put the snaps on my Ultimate Bag and it is now TA-DONE!!





My second TA-DONE for today is Sparklettes.  Yay, my UFO is finished.



Now to get out and about for a bit.  Here is the LINK to our visit down at White Rock Lake and includes a gorgeous sunset as well as duck adventures.



27th - Mister is off today and I didn't really plan for that on my schedule.  Not sure what I was thinking.  While he sleeps in, I head to the studio and kit up the next two months of Dear Jane to take on the trip with me and then the rest of the day is spent with him without pictures.  Hard to believe, right?


28th -   Well now.  We woke to tornado sirens, no power, and the neighbor's tree in our yard.  How it missed our house, I'll never know.  Listening to the radio, this was a massive storm with tons of trees down everywhere.  It's going to continue for a few days and they don't know when power will be back on.  Oh goodness - as they say, the best laid plans . . .   Here is a LINK to the fun.


Since I have no power, I guess I'll open the blinds and get as much light as I can and cut.  Still have that list, ya know.  I want to make a couple of Mountain Saddle Bag purses and the cutting instructions are VERY challenging.  Why, oh why, can't pattern writers be more clear.  I'm on the purple area.  This is what I cut out - the fold is at the top of the pattern, I think, because the pattern is not marked.


I then read some of the directions and there is NO WAY this makes sense.  The picture shows it half the size I've cut and has me sewing it all inside of itself.  WHY?????


I don't care.  I'm walking away at this point.  Mister has returned from working at a coffee shop and we are heading out for some food and internet and a beer.  Seems right.  Power may be out until Saturday - lovely.  While there, I find a video for the purse and discover that the pattern was supposed to be marked differently and now I know what is what.  I wasn't losing my mind, just poorly written and now it makes all kinds of sense.  No fold needed, just cut out the pieces.


29th - Back to the coffee shop this morning and then I leave Mister there to work while I take the car in for maintenance.  After all, we are still leaving Saturday.


When I return home, gloriously, the power is back on but still no internet or cell service so Mister must stay working where he is.  Back to cutting and I get purses kitted up for retreat when I return from Montana.



I've finished my book as it is another thing one can do without internet.  LOL.


30th - We wake to having the internet restored, but cell service is still touch and go and we are expecting another storm to blow through this afternoon.  I've thrown some pieces down on the floor to make a back for RJ.


All blocks for DM are now finished and ready to go.


Now - gotta reorganize priorities and get things done.  Out to the studio to quilt.  Working on Barn Star, I certainly called the batting tight.


Coming off the frame.


I then loaded up Easy Street and quickly quilted it as well, using it as a practice piece to try new free motion quilting patterns.  It's okay and done.


One more load - the sham for Ava.  Whew!


Binding is attached to two of the items and ready for some road stitching.


31st - First thing, I put the binding on Barn Star so that I can stitch it on while traveling.


AND set RJ.  All nine of the big blocks were done, so it is ready to go as well.  I just packed up the backing pieces and will build that somewhere along the way, too.


One last item -- iron on the parts to Merrie Halloween.  They will have to wait for applique until I return.


After all of that, I packed and loaded the car.  It looks like I'm moving out.  Honest.  Mister found three blackberries in the back.  That's it.


I'm beat, but ready to go.  That brings me to the end of May and the craziness it provided.  So much fun and laughter overrules all of the stress and I'd do it all over again.

How did I do?


June comes tomorrow and the joy of summer begins.  Take a few minute to find the JOY in the little things.  It's really very simple.  Check out a cloud or flower - listen to a child - sew a straight seam.  Small things that make us smile.  That's what it is all about.  


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.  I've made quite a few category changes this year - anything to help stay on top of things.

Projects ready to quilt by me:   

Barn Star - Ready for hand binding
Bekah's Wall Hanging/Table Runner - DONE

UFO's to finish:  *means on UFO Monthly Challenge sheet

Alphabet project from MSQC 2022 - 
Second Half Moon Rising project from MSQC 2022 - 
*Snail Trail Quilt from MSQC 2022 - Ready for hand binding
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
*Rhododendron Trail - 
*Sandcastles - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
Row by Rows - 
*Rachel's Sewing Room - quilt borders and attach all parts
Desert Sky - 
*Ruby Jubilee - center blocks made, borders cut and ready to sew, backing parts found
Feathered Star BOW - 
*Pat Sloan quilt - Porch Swing - DONE
Designer Mystery 2022 - All blocks made

Current Projects:

Designer Mystery - current
Dear Jane - current
Country Christmas BOM  - 
Harry Potter BOM - current
Merrie Halloween BOM - 
One Block Wonder - laid out and ready to start sewing columns
Looking Through the Lattice - 
Periwinkle Star - 
Sophie-Claire Block Exchange - C, D, And E done
Sew Sampler Project each month - Easy Street ready for hand binding
Paper-piece Project each month - May DONE

New for this year: 

Turtle Items
Pillow Exchange
Penguin Mug Rugs - fabrics selected


Items being held for MSQC in July

*Anna's Baskets - ready to quilt
Barbara Brachman Civil War Sampler - ready to quilt
Oh Happy Day - ready to quilt
Forever My Valentine - ready to quilt
Summer Moon - ready to quilt
Loyal Union - ready to quilt 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2024 Monthly Posts - 

No comments:

Post a Comment