Friday, January 1, 2021

Grassy Creek - Clue 6 - Bonnie Hunter- Mystery Quilt

 

Happy New Year!!!  It is year 7 for me to spend this day working on a Bonnie Hunter mystery.  In the calm quiet of the morning, while my sweetie is still sound asleep, I have fabric ready to go.  For this clue, I have to switch my gray as I just don't have enough of the first one left.  I know Bonnie is doing strings on this, but I opted out of really scrappy and am staying with the plan.  My neutrals are scrappy and I've retrieved all the strips that remain in the bin from previous weeks.  Will they be enough?

This clue involves "snowball" corners and there are soooo many ways to do that.  One of the ways Bonnie showed was to use the Folded Corners Ruler to cut the corners off ahead of time on the bricks and then use another specialty ruler for the triangles.  She used her Essential Triangle Tool, but I am in love with my Easy Angle Ruler and can accomplish the same thing there.  I soon discover that it takes two cuts per end of the bricks when using the Folded Corners Ruler.  With a ton of cuts to be made, I'd really like to stream line that.  After the first two cuts, the ends remind me of a flying geese body.  Hmmmm --- why can't I use my Companion Angle Ruler and get two cuts at once?  Laying the ruler on the sample I've cut, I am able to add a bit of blue tape and then lay this right on a stack of bricks, halving my cuts.  Woot woot.  I am not joking when I tell you that ALL the remaining gray cuts are made within 10 minutes.  This is the result.


And, this shows my waste.  All those corners (I confess, I didn't keep them) and a few bits at the ends of the strips.  Perfect.


Neutral strips receive the Easy Angle method and I am soon cut entirely.  The best part??  I had enough strips and didn't need to cut any additional ones.  Now, if we need this size again, I'll be back to the cutting table.


To the machine and corners get added.  First one end and then the other.  I happily chain away and no press until the second corners are on.


We are pressed and ready to repeat the procedure by adding both of the remaining corners.


Back to the ironing board.  What a beautiful mess.


Sofa time --- snipping dog ears.  Perfect for watching an episode of The Repair Shop.  Dang, I love that show.  The finished product -- so fun.


My trays of beauty.  I have to admit that if more dog ears show up, it will be the first time ever that I didn't put them all into the ornament.  This sweetheart is STUFFED.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I too realized that the Easy Angle does the same work as the Folded Corner ruler (which I bought in a weak moment and later gave away). But I didn't think about using the Companion Angle to do signature block corners! Genius!! Will be filing this tip away for whenever I get around to making "Grassy Creek" (which WILL happen eventually!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to learn a new trick. I'm so glad to share with others when I have that "aha" moment.

      Delete