Monday, August 31, 2020

August 2020 Quilt Update

Welcome August.  I've thought and though of how to keep the theme going each month so let's start with the definition of Roar -

verb - to utter a loud, deep cry or howl, as in excitement, distress, or anger; to laugh loudly or boisterously; to roar denials; to bring, put, make, etc., by roaring; to roar oneself hoarse.

noun - a loud, deep cry or howl, as of an animal or a person; the roar of a lion; a loud, confused, constant noise or sound; din; clamor; the roar of the surf, the roar of lively conversation from the crowded party.

Can we not all agree that we are ready to ROAR?  I saw a meme the other day where someone said they were staying up New Year's Eve this year, not to see the new year in, but to make sure this one leaves.  Ya gotta see their point, however, I still have faith ---- there are good things around us and Jazz is one of them.





So back to our theme:  The 1920's in the United States, called "roaring" because of the exuberant, freewheeling popular culture of the decade.  The Roaring Twenties was a time when many people defied Prohibition, indulged in new styles of dancing and dressing, and the rejection of many traditional moral standards.  Well, I do see defiance, new styles of dress and the rejection of many traditional moral standards happening every day.  Hold onto your hat, my quilting friends, as another month is upon us.  What does your BINGO card have on it?  Hahahaha, you thought it would be a different card, didn't you?  Can you ROAR - BINGO!!!

The 20's are Roaring Again and are you joining in with our own group ROAR?  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

So ---- here's August and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER

1st -  Each month starts out with a fresh look, right?  If it doesn't, you need to reevaluate.  We have 31 days of a clean slate ahead of us and now we get to determine just what we will do with them.  Right on schedule, I have laid out the new set of pumpkins for Witch's Night Out.  They also happen to be the last set.  Next month we set this.  Woohoo!!!  I am getting excited to see the finish.   It's a Saturday, so Mister is high on my list today --- but at least one thing was done.  Oh and I get a Bingo mark - my list of goals for the month is done.


2nd - Mister and I went for a drive around the city this morning - no pictures, just something to do -- lunch was a pit stop at one of the oldest BBQ spots in Dallas - Sonny Bryan's.  Oh goodness - just so yummy.  It hit the spot and then it's back home to chores.

3rd -  Just another Monday morning.  Another chance to start the week out right.  My plan is to cut out this month's 5 pages for the quiet book and have them ready for hand stitching at the beach 25 days from now.  It's the plan, at least.  The first item is to locate the letters from previous book (yes, I keep ALL the pattern pieces) and see how many I need to cut out.  Strangely enough, I only had to use a couple to make duplicates and I am set to go.  By the end of the day, six pages are cut:  front and back with names, two memory pages, a Tetris page, and a doctors page.  Some machine work (i.e. adding velcro, etc.) needs to take place and then they can be packed for the beach.  Everything has been cleaned up and put away.  Yay me.


4th -  I've decided that since the beach time goes into the next month, perhaps it will be a good idea to cut another 5 pages and have them ready to go, too.  Out comes the mess again.  This time, I will show you.  The first pages I'm working on are a finger counting page and a pot of soup.


From there to a cake stand and oven with tea pot.


All in all, 6 more pages are ready to go to the machine for any pre-work that must take place (i.e. vinyl sewn in place, fasteners, etc.).  Time to clean up the mess once again.


Mister picked up Pho for dinner tonight and spotted this pencil picture to share - Kind of cute.

5th -  While at retreat, I was gifted with bags of strings and scraps.  Today, I am sorting and then heading to the studio to put everything away properly as I have some other items from finishing up projects that need to return home as well.  It's a new mess today.


The temperature has indeed risen and it's warm in the studio.  I don't plan to be out here long enough to warrant the A/C, so set to work quickly going through string bags, strip boxes, and yardage bins.  When I get to the flannel/minkee bin, I realize that I need to pull for a quilt and that means the tub needs to be cleaned out and re-organized, of course.  By the time, it neat and orderly, I have fabric for a new baby coming in November AND I have located two large minkee orphan blocks that with some leftover bits and pieces, could become pillows for the Utah littles.  While I'm out here, and starting to sweat, I might as well find the fabric for a tricot baby quilt.  Three new projects for the lists - oh my.

Before walking out, a hidden jelly roll (like the ones from last month) is discovered and since I have batting leftover  . . .   On the bright side, I get to mark off a Bingo card spot.


Into the house and re-thinking one part of Journey - I can show this part, at least, as I have given some new fabric requirements and these play a huge role in that.  If you wish to play, here is the Introduction Page LINK.

A melon aqua fresca hits the spot with cantelope leftover from retreat.  Yes, it is almost a week later and still good, but needing to be finished up.  This is just sooooo good, and I am just soooooo hot.

6th -  Fabrics everywhere --- bet you can guess why.  Today nets me another Bingo box - Journey prepared.  Which of these fabrics do you think stayed and which ones were re-thought?


7th -  So much behind the scenes stuff today, BUT here is an interesting tidbit.  Do you remember me burning my hand last month?  Well, today, little dried up blisters have shown up and my skin is peeling in all the burn spots.  It's been more than a month.  Crazy bizarre.

Packages have been arriving and I'm busy prepping for the November retreat - I know, the October one comes first, lol.  I'm working on that one too.


I need some black velcro for the quiet book and decide to see if JoAnn's has it.  Once in the car, it makes sense to run down to Harry Hines and see if I can also pick up all the needed retreat charms for 2021 while I am at it.  See, I told you I'm in planning mode today.  It takes me two stores for the velcro and I am short one charm I need, but all in all, a successful trip.

Let's celebrate at OHB for dinner as they are having a fish and chips night.  Masks on - and away we go.

8th - I have so many looming deadlines, but I want to play.  That makes complete sense, right?  First - ideas.  I want to do a disappearing block of some sort but am not sure just which one and so a little research on MSQC (Bingo mark here) lets me know that with the fabrics I have and the quantities, the disappearing four-patch would work best.  Taking the flannels I brought in a couple of days ago, I am able to cut enough squares for 17 blocks.  (I have a TON of other flannels, but none of them in the bright pink that I have in minkee and the budget is right right now.)


The alternate blocks will come from these two fabrics, but I am short about 2 squares.  I've put out a "help" in the group and thanks to Ms. Lana --- I have enough to finish on the way.

Now, in order to make sure I am cutting the alternate blocks the exact size I need, I'd better put one of these together real quick.  Four patch sewn and cut - then re-sewn ---- this will work and with the fabric coming, I'll have just the right amount.  It's gonna be cute.


Cut the alternate squares and wait for the last few in the mail.


A quick look outside show me that my grasses are blooming --- that usually means summer is on the way out.  I love how they pick up the morning and evening light.  So pretty - does this get me a Bingo check?  It is something in nature and I am posting it here.

9th -  Mister's computer went bonkers last Friday and he is in office this morning working with the IT department to get it fixed.  That means I have the house all to myself --- what a rarity these days.  My main task for today is to clean up my room a bit and that means emptying the bed from it's many "projects-in-waiting."  First up -- my pumpkins.  TA-DA ---- Put it away girl --- no temptation to work ahead and put this one together.  next month -- I'll set it.

Now for those orphan minkee blocks.  A few cuts and I have backs made AND a mess everywhere but they are pinned to the blocks and ready to sew.



Mister returned home and I settled in with some cleaning and laundry for the rest of the day.  The den, dining room, and most of my room have been located once again.

10th -  Journey occupies my morning, but I do make progress on clearing off my machines.  The pillows are together, just needing final hand-stitching to close the openings.

I brought home a project from retreat that needs a sample made and the fabric I have selected is waaay out of my color comfort zone - that definitely earns me a Bingo check.  Call me crazy but it might turn out pretty cool.  Of course, there is always the opposite outcome chance as well.  Hmmmm.


In my attempt to clear flat spaces, all remaining scraps in the house are dealt with and ready to add to the Scrap Users System in the studio.  I am thrilled with the additional 1 1/2" squares for my BAD blocks.  Woot woot.  Speaking of, one is put together as the leader/ender this morning.  One is still forward movement.

Adding to the "clean area" stuff, I have machine prepped all the quiet book pages and they are packed into a box for the beach.  That meant velcro, vinyl, a zipper, and pounding in some eyelets.  Goodness.  The rest of the work on these 12 pages will be by hand until they are ready to be attached to the backings.


TV time nets me a Bingo check.  I used a hand needle and thread to close the seams on the pillows.  They are ready for gifting, which also gets me a Bingo check -- love it when it is two at once.


11th -  I have a plan today and can honestly admit, I'm nervous.  Learning new things and testing oneself has a tendency to do that to me.   I wish I could show pictures, but just know that it was Journey I was working on and I receive double Bingo marks - sew a straight seam and new technique--- for my effort.  I will say that I have perma grin over how it all turned out.  Spent the whole day on it and am now rewarding with a well-earned beer.

12th -  My fabric from Lana arrived today -- it's perfect and an exact match.  Gratitude fills my heart and I am so thankful for friends.  It was not the only package in the mail today.  MSQC had the little iron that I love on a Daily Deal last week and with all the credit I had on account, it became free to me.  Now, the other items that jumped into my cart did cost me, but I'm okay with that.  This is my celebration fabric for my choppers are paid in full today.  Once every two years or so, ya just gotta replenish the neutrals.  Bingo check for posting this in the group.


The remainder of my day is working on Journey and at some point all of those pictures will be shared --- for now --- well I guess I'll leave you a hint.

13th -  Same old, same old here.  A couple of interesting items though -- I learned that I have been spelling Whims wrong --- drat -- and check out my birthday balloon.  It's now 3 1/3 months old and the simple gift that just keeps on giving.  My daughter always buys balloons for her children's birthdays and Mister and I have done it for awhile now too ---- it really is fun.

14th -  Mister's three day weekend once again and he has tickets for the re-opening of the Dallas Museum of Art.  Please check out this DMA LINK to see all the amazing exhibits we were lucky enough to explore.  I've left just a couple of pictures here - ones that show how the simple changes in shade and color to the same block can add such movement to a piece.  While this isn't fabric, the same concept would carry through.



Stopping at Jimmy's for a few items and lunch to take home, we are back inside and enjoying our Italian meal.  A quick trip down the street and I am lighter and ready for the beach --- well at least my hair is ready.


 How does it look?  Well - here ya go.  Selfie taken and posted -- another Bingo check.


15th -  We are staying home -- I am back on lockdown for two weeks so that I can play at the beach with friends.  I'm calling it our Cancellation Consolation trip.  Seems fitting as we were supposed to be on a cruise that week.  Water will still be seen.

Most of the day is just spent with my sweetie, vegie'ing and watching episodes of Amazing Race.  Kind of like travel day dreaming.  Now and then I make it to the sewing machine and tackle another item on Journey as well as putting together the flannel four-patches.  Watched Highway to Heaven while sewing --- another Bingo mark and we are halfway through the month.  Wow.  Ya know what else is cool?  I have all blog items current.  That's even more shocking.  Now to start those Journey posts, but at least the graphics are all done so there is that.

16th - One half of the month has vanished.  I cannot believe it.  For some reason, my list doesn't seem to be receiving very many check marks - and yet I'm not out running around.  So much time goes towards Journey and I can't share that YET, so it's hard to find other items to share.  I did find that I forgot to take some pictures of part of the process and had to cut additional parts just to take pictures with --- OMG.  Pay attention girl.  A little sewing and the Mister and I were out for a drive.  Once back home, I spun the seams and pressed the four-patches from yesterday.


It is bulk pick-up week  and we have a HUGE pile of sticks and stuff in the backyard.  Several trips later, Mister and I have large stacks out front and have made a dent in about 1/4-1/3 of the pile.  We will tackle this a little each month as we can only put out so much each time due to city rules.  I'm beat but Mister just keeps on going.  While I go back into the house, he re-pots a bunch of our aloe vera plants --- making them giftable as he seems to have a very green thumb with them.  After my hand episode last month, EVERY person should have one of these in their home.


My tired body decides to make the cuts on the four-patch blocks so that they can "disappear."


A storm is moving in and that means we are shutting down the computers.  See ya'll tomorrow.


17th -  Distraction, distraction, distraction.  I am such a squirrel today.  I'm trying to gather everything for my trip to the beach later this month and am only taking hand work with me.  Grabbing the last two of my row by row blocks, I find that they are last because neither has a finished picture.  Well, dang.  A short amount of time on Google and I'm able to retrieve them.  Now, I can make sense of the instructions, as row by row directions usually leave a LOT to experience.  One of them requires some sewing and those parts get cut and prepared.


While making parts for Journey, these little geese make great leader/enders and I soon have both parts ready to put in the box.


AND -- to top everything else off today, the baby blocks are sewn too.  Today was a bit more productive.


18th - Paula is coming to visit, thus today must be a "Cleaning House" episode.  One of the BINGO card items says to "Make progress on your oldest UFO."  After HOURS of research, it appears it is the one on the hand frame.  Great.  Another BINGO square requires me to "Thoroughly clean one room in my home."  Awesome.  If I have to make progress on the oldest UFO, it needs to be cleared and set back up, requiring a LOT of cleaning and work.  This might as well be the room.  One check mark today and I'm now able to make progress on the UFO.  One stitch is progress, right?  LOL, I'll do more than that.  Leaving just a couple of rooms for tomorrow morning, I have some time to make a little progress on Journey as well.

I have a machine to set up in the den in order to complete some other items and it needs to be cleaned.  Even though Mister looks at me as though I've taken away his "spoiling me," I need that BINGO card mark.

This 301 receives a spa treatment at my hands - looks like she needs it.  That green is from quilting sashings at retreat.  She really worked hard there - all the sashings and borders were quilted, meaning not just thread and fabric fibers, but batting as well.

She's pretty again and ready to move forward with more beautiful work.  Can never complain with these machines.  They are amazing.  Psst - I'll sleep good tonight.


19th -  Good morning!!  I have hit the ground running.  First up - finish up the Journey parts that are on the machine in my room.  Then clean the room so Paula has a place to stay.  Shower and clean the bathroom.  NOW, I can move forward.  Putting dinner into the crockpot (here is the LINK to the recipe as it is all new to me --- yes, another BINGO mark).  Homemade chicken noodle soup is on the stove for lunch and my cinnamon rolls are mixed and rising.  Paula is HERE and we spend the whole day cutting, cutting, cutting out a project for her.  She gives all new meaning to "use it up to the last bit."  Check out these tiny slivers of fabric remaining after she made her cuts.  Whew.

Dinner has been enjoyed, cinnamon rolls have been devoured, and it's time to kick back and relax a bit.  We've had a great day, but everyone is heading to bed early.  We're tired.


20th -  After coffee and cinnamon rolls (yes, again), I help Paula finish up her cutting and even manage to get one of my Whims blocks for this month quilted AND started on the second one.  Then I had to say good-bye to Paula (so fun to share time with her).  Until next time, my friend.  BINGO mark, time with friends.


After putting things back in order in the house and resetting the machine in my room, some much needed  pressing takes place with Journey and then I make some cuts for a bag I'm trying out as a retreat mini-class item.  The zippers are pinned and that's about all I have in me today.   The steam is just running out.  I think I want to make a surprise for my sweetheart so I start in on making some homemade Naan.  Once again, the first piece has to be tested with melted butter and some sea salt.  OH so good.


From Naan to a beautiful cheese tray and wine.  I've succeeded and he is pleasantly surprised.  Now for some Amazing Race episodes and much deserved relaxation.


21st - More Journey work and then, because the weather outside is delightful, I box up the pillows and send them off as a surprise.  BINGO mark.  Yes, a walk down to the Post Office, where I peek in and make sure the place is almost empty except for the attendant.  Mask in place and a quick in and out.  Task accomplished.  Next door is a Tuesday Morning and I had no idea it was closing.  It made it through the first round of closures, but not this one.  Drat.  This is one store I will miss and a quick peek in the door shows me that I'm way too late to even score some deals.  It's okay, I'm not supposed to be risking COVID anyway.


Back home and back to work.  I am, once again, easily distracted today.  Fall is coming and I want to move into a project for it.  Books/patterns are all over the bed while I search for ideas.  The zipper does get sewn onto the bag and some more on Journey happens.  I have some great ideas moving around right now and have decided on next years group Quilt A Longs, which required me to order one book.  I hope it all works out, but I'll have plans for three QAL's no matter what.  Staying ahead of the game is what I am most comfortable with.  I even have the colors for one of the quilts determined and will check fabrics this week - for a quilt we will start in Jan. 2021.  Gotta smile at this squirrel.

22nd - Only some pressing for Journey today.  The rest of the time is spent making a new sling for our patio chairs.  I bought the fabric awhile back and Mister purchased new spline to hold it in place.  We have measure and re-measured.  Today, we try.  Cuts are made, markings on done (Mister helping each step) and I'm sewing along find an then I try to rush through a thick area.  BIG mistake and the needle hits HARD and breaks.  That turns into about 2 hours of Mister working to get her all up and running again.  I'm so thankful for him and resolve to go S-L-O-W-L-Y through the thicker areas.


With the fabric part finished, re put the spline in and thread the whole thing through the rails.


The spreader bar is attached and IT FITS!!!!  Woohoo.  That means our measurements are right.  Now, it's just a matter of bolting it back onto the base and popping the end caps back on.


YES!!!  We are sooooo pleased.  Now for three more.


Back to the cutting table with Mister and we have them cut and marked.  Then he takes a break while I sew, sew, sew.  All three are finished and ready for assembly, but I'm pretty much done for today.  It turns out I have waaaaay too much fabric, but that's okay.  We have enough to replace these again in a few years if necessary.  I'm good with that.  Into the miscellaneous tub it goes.

We settle in for a few episodes of Amazing Race and I knot and bury threads on one Whims block, then a quick trip to the cutting table and it's trimmed and done.  Now to get the second one finished for this month.


23rd -  Mister snagged some early entries into the Fort Worth Zoo and we are outta here with sleep still in our eyes this morning.

A cup of coffee grabbed on the way and we are ready to explore.  Come along with us through this LINK and you won't be disappointed.  So much fun for a day without other humans - well, at least very few of them.  Once back home, we spent time watching a few episodes of Amazing Race and then put one more chair together.  Nice day.


24th -  Okay, this month is winding down and I not only have my own goals to accomplish as best as possible, but now I have this dang BINGO card calling me too.  At least this time the same items is in both places.  Today is the day I set the Whims Christmas quilt.  First though, I finish the quilting on the second Whims block for this month and set it aside for thread burying.  Assembly now begins on my Christmas Whims and since I did this QAYG, so many brain cells are constantly required.   made maul dasha for dinner   I have to laugh at the first picture because the bottom row is on the floor where the others are on the sofa and table.  Sure makes them look different sizes, but they are not.  I have my George Strait cd on and am singing away as I sew.  BINGO mark.  By the time I have the three rows together w/sashings, I'm tired of this but continue until the smaller strips to cover the seams are finished and pinned on.  Yes, I've left the edges long for a reason as there will be another piece there and they will have to cover it too.


I made some Maul Dasha for dinner and then Mister and I went back to work and finished the last two chairs.  They are TA-DONE!!!  What a great project and now I am on the hunt for an umbrella and we will have a "like-new" patio set.


25th -  While a hurricane is still aiming at the beach, I am sewing away again today.  I don't want to think about my trip being cancelled and if I stay busy, well, at least it's out of mind.  All of those horizontal seam covering strips need to be sewn down and the long sides added and then the process repeated for the vertical seams.  It takes most of the day BUT by the time I finish I also have the final strips all around the edge, the hanging sleeve attached, the label on, AND all the binding in place.  Markers are out and I have filled in all the eye pupils,etc.  This is ready for hand work on the binding and may even pull out another BINGO mark.  This UFO was signed up for on my second year to Houston International Quilt Festival (2017) and I collected for the all of 2018.  In 2019 I started working on putting the squares together, 2020 I quilted two blocks each month, and here is where we are now.  Whew.


Meanwhile, the kit I signed up for my FIRST year is still in process.  Threads are buried and this one is ready to go into the box to wait until the others are finished as well.  Two a month -- will be December/January before I look at her again.  (The gold is the backing of the strips I trimmed off.  I'm just THAT lazy tonight - left it as is for the picture.)


26th -  Up early and making sure the blogs are all current and pictures are all developed.  I have a busy couple of weeks coming up and really would like to be on top of the game.  Fabric in the mail --- fun, fun.  I also managed to get the zipper in for the bag I'm working on.  I know that doesn't seem like much, but some Journey took place too.

The BINGO card is still calling me and that means I need to settle in on the quilt and do some hand stitching.  It kind of feels good to be back, but I no longer have any callouses on my finger tips, so this will be a challenge for a bit.  I'll get them back though.  All of these threads have been hanging for many moons now.  More moons than I care to share, suffice to say this went on the frame in 2013.


Naturally, the needle went right into the finger.  Of course --- but I continued on and actually had a bit of a buffer in the bandage.  One block finished and that's enough for today.  I am going to have to build up to this.

Meanwhile, I've posted the Quilt-A-Longs for 2021 in the group.  We will be doing Orca Bay by Bonnie Hunter for one as it is the last of her mysteries that I have not made.  I'm switching up the colors a bit though because the UFO QAL is also by her and is my Dawn's Early Light which is red/white/blue and I don't want to work on two of them right now.  Sticking with the "work from the stash" mantra, here is where I am going:  Chocolate Brown, Gold/Toasty, Cream, Sage/Grassy greens.  I may need just a few greens in this range, but that's it.


Oh - the last of the QAL's for 2021 will be Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt.  Now, I have to really think on that one as I don't have ANY 30's fabrics and am not sure I want to go that way.  Decisions, decisions.  Maybe . . . .   oooooh, I'm running to the studio.  And now I'm laughing like crazy.  No, these won't work.  Or will they???  HAHAHAHA --- I'll likely just go with crazy scrappy from my stash.  I have all the colors in bits and pieces.  But . . . . one never knows.

27th -  Well, Hurricane Laura did her thing last night and it appears that Surfside did not get hit hard.  I'm ready to get excited for tomorrow.  What does that mean?  Well, I'm off to Costco for all the necessities - a large toilet paper, large package of paper towels, cases of water, lots of black garbage bags, and the supplies needed for the meals I am responsible for.  A few items for home and $290 later, I'm on the way back home.  Wanting to make dang sure all is a go, I've sent another message to the home owner and opted to start working on prep before making the final trip to Kroger for the smaller quantity items.  I have taken a package of small cucumbers and made a brine for one quart of pickles and then cut some onions as well for a cucumber salad that can go to the beach.  I've also crisped a pound of bacon for the wedge salads.


I'm just getting ready to start skinning the case of tomatoes I have when I hear from the home owner.  And now, I'm a puddle of tears.  The road in front of the house has surge damage and the water lines/sewer for the village have been compromised.  Thank you Laura.  Now, I have the delight of letting everyone else know.  End of forward progress here at home.  ARGH --- I hate this year.  It's outside to ROAR --- might as well get a BINGO mark out of this.

My friend, Samantha, is a genius and through this manages to put together a new block exchange entitled 2020 Sucks.  I'm good with that.  The blocks will use bright colors and white tone-on tones -- all from 2 1/2" strips.  A quick look in the 2 1/2" strip bins and all I "might" need are a few tone-on-tone white fat quarters. SO . . . After some moping, I finish my personal shopping at Kroger and make a side trip to Rocking Bobbin.  I figure some retail therapy might ease the pain.  Five tone-on-tones, five greens for Orca Bay, and a few more fun neutrals "just because" and I'm heading back home again.

More fabric in the mail --- I'm finally ready for October's retreat -- and a nice chat with Ana, whom I haven't spoken to in a long time.   Oh hey --- without thinking, I just got another BINGO mark.  Woot woot.


Now to end this rather roller coastery day.  I have gallons of orange juice and so --- SCREWDRIVERS!!  This seem appropriate on oh so many levels.  Tomorrow is another day.

Psssst --- while watching old Amazing Race episodes, a sewing machine is spotted.  It's always fun when that happens.

28th - My sweet hubby set to work yesterday while I was in a puddle and snagged us an early entry into the Arboretum for this morning.  Ya really need to check out this LINK and see how beautiful the whole place is when empty.  I even get a BINGO mark for pictures of nature being posted.  Hey --- it's close enough - I had planned on a beach sunrise.  It is what it is.


Deciding to go home for a bit, Mister tackles the yard before it gets too hot and I settle in to start the hand stitching of binding on Whims.  After a bit, we are ready to go again and aim for Cedar Creek Brewing in Seven Points for lunch.  Everything is oh so good, but by the time, we finish, it's dang hot and ready for some indoor continuation of this fun.


Vector Brewing, right in our hood, is the solution.  Yep -- perfect.  We do laugh about the signs on the tables, though.  Is it really okay to sit right where the dot is?  I want to oh so much but Mister gives me the "please don't" look.  He embarrasses so easy.  This is why I need my gal pals so much.  A yummy pizza is for dinner and it's almost 8 by the time we get home.  Feet up --- Amazing Race episodes and hand bind ensues.

My Whim's is TA-DONE!!!



That's another BINGO mark -- only one to go and three days left.  Can I do it?

29th -  I'm calling us official couch potatoes today.  We spent the ENTIRE day sitting and watching either Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Now, I can't just sit and do nothing this close to the end of the month, so I started in on my Row by Row that was in the beach packing.  It will likely take me all day to complete this, but I have a goal.

The directions leave a bit to be desired (as with most Row by Rows, in my experience) and I have to resort to a magnifying glass to look at the picture closer.  THEN, it's obvious that their supplies and directions, don't match the picture.  Well, fine.  Fortunately, I have lots of embroidery floss and buttons --- I can make this work.  The little flowers are a first for me.  I just wish they had required a special ruler.  I so want that last BINGO mark and am struggling with how to get it.  At any rate, the block is finished and I do so love it.  Now --- onto quiet book pages for the next couple of days.  Apparently more couching in my future.


30th -  RAIN!!!!  I woke early (around 5:30, which I'm sure is late for many of you) and simply enjoyed the sound and smell of the rain for a bit.  It is heavenly.  What to do today?  Well, this quiet book is the target after the daily chores.  Once the rain stops, Mister decides to cut down a dying tree in the backyard and it's right while I'm making a Tomato Bisque and have tomatoes in the water to split the skins.  This process takes a bit and I can't just go and help him.  Ugh.

He finishes about the same time I do and the soup is just so yummy.  Now ---  how much of a mess can I make?  Here we go.


By the time we call it a night, I have parts of 7 pages worked on.  Tomorrow is another day and  . . . more colors of thread.  Yes, I work that way and started out today with a little tub of leftover thread from other projects.  I made it through that and then cleaned the case that holds my floss.  That gives me the direction to start tomorrow.  Random threads first.

31st -  The last day of August has arrived and I know what is ahead of me for today.  My own crazy goals and the desire to keep a wee bit on track may just be the death of me.  I am right back where I left off last night --- on the sofa, stitching little pieces of felt together.  Starting at 7 in the morning and cleaning up the mess at 3:30 has me with 6 pages ready for applique to the background pages.  Whew!!!  My fingers are a bit sore, but I LOVE these.  Six more pages are in the box and packed for our road trip to Montana this weekend.  We have 26 hours of driving and so I should be able to get a good start on the required 5 pages for next month.


Now --- that last mark on my BINGO card has been on my mind all day.  I bought the Simple Folded Corners ruler and have never used it.  Today is the day, but on what?  I can't just cut up fabric.  Out to the studio and I manage to locate one last Row by Row pattern.  No fabric for it.  Digging through the bins, I am able to locate enough that will work and some that looks like it is what the store used (black not pictured).  The mountains call for sew and flips - perfect for this ruler and I'm game to learn.


Cutting the sky and mountain bricks, I lay them the way the pattern asks.  At this point I am supposed to draw lines and then sew and trim.  However, a quick cut with the ruler and the line is negated along with the trimming already accomplished.  Awesome.  First one side -


Then the other - to match up my mountain.  This will help me make fast work of cutting out this project.

And just like that --- my card is complete.  I am doing a huge happy dance and figuring out that my reward will be brownies.  I am going to go and bake them the minute I get this posted.  OMG!

We have come to another beginning --- September is mere hours away.  Please let it hold better times for all of us.  I really do not want anything to interfere with our trip to Montana.  Take a look at the next pic.


Each month of this year becomes more challenging with my theme.  Sometimes I think I should just toss it out and start again --- something most people wish they could do with 2020.  At any rate, I think I have another version for you.  One of my favorite things in the whole world are waterfalls.  Have you been around one that ROARS?  The picture above sure makes me feel the word right through the screen.  How about Niagara Falls?  I've not been there (on my list), but I've heard tell that it does indeed ROAR.  Perhaps the picture on the right is more calming to you.  It's ROARING though, I promise, and perhaps THAT is the lesson for this month.  AT least for me.  I wish to stay calm through the storm that 2020 is.  I wish to ROAR with productivity and laughter.  Are you with me?

Psst - to the plans we had at the beach this week --- my love to all.


UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound - It's still sitting on the frame intimidating me
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Winter Wonderland - quilted and bound
1 Whims put together and bound - YES!!!!!

Current Projects:

Witches Night Out - Monthly Assignment Finished - YES
Quiet Book - 5 pages completed - Yes - ready for applique to background pages
Stash Buster project -
Quarantine Challenge -  Quilted and bound
Lawn chairs recovered - DONE
Journey - So much done, nothing to show
New baby quilt - fabric selected, cut, blocks sewn and cut, ready to set

UFO Items for This Month:

Two Whims blocks (QAYG) - YES
Some Neutral strings -
1 Row by Row block - YES
BAD blocks as leader/enders - one finished, better than zero

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once - Not rolled BUT I did work on it  WOOT WOOT

Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

January 2020
February 2020
March 2020
April 2020
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment