Thursday, June 11, 2020

Journey - Introduction



When the year began, I truly thought that this year's title be centered around the Roaring Twenties, the theme in my Facebook group, Our Quilt World.  I had been watching a friend work with blacks/greys/neutrals and mentioned several times that I thought it was time for me to do the same.  I even had a cool logo picture selected.  See?  So many thoughts were running through my brain --- names, fun things to do, etc.




Then, 2020 showed it's true shape.  The past few months, as I've designed and worked behind the scenes, has truly been a journey, right?  Each one of us is on our own path, even though it may seem that there are a lot of zigs and zags along the way.  Sometimes the path seems straight and then other days we are going in circles, looking for that bright star to lead the way.   No one knows the exact outcome of this year, but I do know that sewing with friends brings me comfort on the route.

Are you excited yet?  For any who are new to a mystery and wanting to try one for the first time, here is are the details.  This post releases the colors and yardage.  Beginning on September 6th (a Sunday) and every Saturday from then until we finish, a "clue" will be released and posted here on the blog.  It will also be linked in a few Facebook groups.  If you sign up for the email notifications, you'll know the minute the post is live.  Each clue is a step in the making of the quilt top.  You will be given cutting and sewing instructions for the week and can post your progress so that we can all share in the excitement.  NO, you do not get to see what the quilt will look like until the big reveal at the end.  You just have to trust and rest assured that you will learn something and perhaps challenge yourself a bit.  At all times, you will be able to access the clues via the Summary page, which has a tab at the top of the blog and a link to each post.

I do not have paint samples for this year, but I think we'll be okay.  Here are my fabrics:


BEFORE we go any further --- "I" chose red as my highlight color.  You may choose any highlight color that you prefer --- yellow would be wonderful, for example.  Additionally, you can always change up the colors any way you wish.  Here is a tip though ---- make sure your neutral and gray have contrast.  If you go with black as a neutral, make sure it and the "black" have contrast.

I am going scrappy with all by my neutral and that is because my white neutrals have been decimated and I'm still working from stash.  A constant it is - well, two tone on tones.

Here are the yardages and I've added a "small" amount for errors (WOF is 42" minimum):

Grays - 3 yards - If Scrappy, please have one piece WOF - 30"
Neutral - 5 yards - IF Scrappy, please have one piece WOF - 20"
Contrast Color - 1 1/2 yards - IF Scrappy, please have one piece WOF - 20"
Black - 3 1/2 yards - IF Scrappy, please have two pieces - one WOF 15" and the second WOF 25"

The quilt will measure 95 x 95.

If you would like to use specialty rulers, I am using the Easy Angle, Companion Angle, and Tri Recs Tool.  You are always free to use the method that makes your heart happy.

Are you going to take this Journey with me?  If so, please join the Facebook group created especially to share with each other.  Here is your LINK TO JOIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment