Sunday, July 26, 2020

Christmas in July Brazos Retreat

Round two!  I've written this post in full once and lost the entire thing.  I'm sure the first one was witty and wonderful -- oh well.  I'm not posting an album in the group, so this is pretty picture laden - enjoy.

We have added a retreat this summer as a result of COVID and my inability to have grands come and visit.  It also helps out our hostess as she has been inundated with cancellations at the center.  With 2 weeks of self-isolation under our belts, it's time to have some fun with friends.  The car is loaded (although a bit haphazardly) and I am on the road bright and early.  Brazos, here we come for a wonderful weekend.

The theme is Christmas in July and to that end - the room has joy everywhere.  Huge thanks to Val and Stephannie for all of their help.  Take a peek around.








My first task, after name tag charms, is to add some borders to my Quarantine Challenge quilt blocks and then I'm off to the kitchen to work on dinner.  I am making a wedge salad to go along with Stephannie's soup and Val's fresh bread.  Oh so yummy.  Dig in everyone.

We have three events for this retreat: a pillow exchange, a gift exchange and our regular LCR game.  The decision is for one per night and tonight is the gift exchange.  After dinner, we spread the gifts around the kitchen - spacing for a bit of social distance, but realizing that we can only do so much - and then we moved ourselves from gift to gift instead of passing them.  Hilarity and fun ensued as well as oodles of laughs.  Once the game ended --- smiles all around as we opened our gifts.  I'll share a pic of mine at the end of this post.




It was back to the quilt for me and soon - setting and all borders finished so -TA-DA


Straightening my work space before bed, I hear the Stephan(n)ie's giggling in the kitchen and wonder what they are up to.  A quick peek before bed shows their shenanigans and I'm into my room with a smile on my face.

Wiggly eyes are peeking out from around the room -- have a looky-loo.  Good night y'all.



Good morning to all.  I am off to the river to enjoy the peace and beauty of this area first thing today.


As I sit and just absorb, Gwen wanders down to join me and we have a delightful conversation with lots of discussion and giggles.  Yes, you can have both.


Stephanie makes her way down for a quick visit as well and the morning is off to a great start.  Friends on the river --- I'm a happy girl.


Upon my return to the house, I discover the full measure of those giggles last night.  Oh my -- how fun is this?

Ya gotta look close as they are just EVERYWHERE!  So, so fun and I am giggling just as they were last night as I go through BOTH fridges.


To add to the ever changing activity here, we have a donkey relocation going on out front.  Stan is herding with the ATV while grandson, Crash, acts as the sheepdog.  It's all quite entertaining.





After lunch, Kelly has a TA-DA- Yay Easy Street


She follows that up by putting her Witch's Night Out quilt on the wall.  I love her adaptation of it and while I'm still doing pumpkins, she has the cutest ghosts and candy corn.  Super jelly of her creativity.

I have made the backing for my Quarantine Challenge quilt, along with the binding and label.  This one is in the "ready to quilt" bin now. 


I ran an errand and missed the instruction part of our mini-class.  Stephannie taught how to make these cute little boxes and I "think" someone else took pics.  If I get them, I'll insert here.  Upon my return, I set to work to make my own little box.  I LOVE IT!!


I am here with Bekah (my granddaughter) and Jen (my daughter) and cannot believe that I didn't take a picture of the three of us.  Grrrr.  Three generations at a quilt retreat is just so fun.


It's LCR night and costumes are in full swing.  Kelly and Cindy


Stephannie and Stephanie


Kay and Bekah


Samantha and Frieda


Marci and Debi


Val and Jen


Paula and Gwen


Cindy is RUBY!!!!


Frieda is PEARL!!!!


The door prize goes to Jen


Okay, let's get the game started.  We have spaced the chairs out more by removing the second table from the room so that it's a slightly further pass, but we are not as on top of each other as we could be.

 I am always ever so thankful to Val for her ongoing help.  It makes all things go faster and we don't melt from the heat in room after all these bodies are there. 


The fat quarters are won by Kelly and, yes, this is her happy face.


Scenes from the circle




The first jelly roll is won by Stephannie


Both Val and I are in the running for the second jelly roll so Jen takes over running the game.


Yay me!!!!  Woot woot.  Score one for Mrs. Claus.


A little selfie fun and I know there were many more taken, but not sent to me so I can't add them here.


I really should hold my camera still - argh



Kitchen talk -


Look here -- proof that Jen and Bekah were both here.


Cindy has her GOLDEN SCISSORS TA-DA --- WOOHOO!!!


Stephanie with a cross-stitch TA-DA


A walk around the - such a beehive of activity and conversation








I spy Sapphire Blues in progress.


I have managed to sew all four jelly rolls end to end into nice little messy bundles.  That's it for me tonight as I'm off to bed.


Morning finds me following Gwen out to visit her "ladies" and a chance to chat with Stan is never to be missed.


Jen has been working on this block and learning a new technique at the same time.  More power to her as I've never done what she is doing.  TA-DA


Our group picture is taken outside and I have to admit that I love this backdrop so very  much that it will likely be used again.  These amazing women have enhanced this weekend and I have loved every minute of my time with them.  Back row:  Cindy, Kelly, Paula, Frieda, Gwen, Kay, Stephannie, Stephanie, Val  Front:  Debi, Jen, Bekah, Samantha   Missing:  Marcia


Oh, and yours truly, of course.


Shortly after the pic, I discovered my granddaughter napping under her table, wrapped in the afghan she is working on.  She does have a bed in case anyone wondered.


Spotted:  A Witch's Night Out block


Our walks to the river are required each time we visit and today is the day.  The evening has brought slightly cooler temps and we are ready to give it a whirl.  Each visit to the neighboring property shows new changes and installations.  How cool are these?



Ahhhh, the riverbed. 


Gwen is busily collecting rocks for her collection,


while Stephanie and Jen set to having "natural pedicures."  Some people pay big money for this.



I'm just loving the view and soon spot Jen on the other side of the river.


As I look back towards the main house, it appears that we may be able to walk back along the shore.  This is something that has never before been possible and shows how very low the river truly is.  I don't have the right shoes on to give it a try, but Gwen does and off she goes.


With one little slip on a rock and carrying 30 pounds of rocks, she makes it a little wetter than originally planned, but all is good.


Debi and Marcia create the best ice cream sundaes EVER tonight and I'm in heaven.


Cindy with another TA-DA


A group TA-DA of our little containers.  Now, I get to put charms on tags again --- love it, honest.


For this evening, we have the pillow exchange and when it is all over, smiles abound and I have to tell you that I have seem some absolutely amazing pillows presented.  Very wonderful.  I'll share my pic at the end.


The awarding of the GOLDEN SCISSORS to Cindy is next.  I didn't forget -- woot woot.


Jen's TA-DA


Bekah's Dream Catcher TA-DA and a pic of her working on her king-sized afghan.


Just chillin'


Giggling from the library makes me peek and after a quick binding lesson, I've determined that I'm tired and needing some sleep.  Night everyone.


Good morning!!!  Sam starts it out right with a Mondo Bag TA-DA, followed by her cauldron Witch's Night Out block.


Stephannie has finished her GOLDEN SCISSORS project.  YAY!!!!!


The awarding of the Golden Scissors ---- Congrats to her!!!


That's pretty much it for this retreat.  Many have already left and others are packing up.  What a great time I've had and cannot wait to see many of these ladies again this fall.  Bring it on.   OH --- my pic of my two treasure and the funny part is that I received BOTH of them from Kay.  Christmas in July is truly a fun retreat theme.  See y'all around

No comments:

Post a Comment