Friday, January 31, 2020

January 2020 Quilt Update


The 20's are Roaring Again.   Shall we join in?  What would that mean?  Well, for one thing, it was a time of great changes.  Let's start there.  Make some changes.  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.  If you read December's post, you know that on the last day, I shared the new theme.  I did that because this post comes out after the month is over and what good does that do?  So, each month, on the last day, I will share the next month's fun.  It will help me to make a change I've been wanting for awhile and that is to stay current on this and post right on time.  Fingers crossed that this helps.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balance change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)



So ---- here's January and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads of popups EVER.

1st -


The new Stash Buster Challenge started at midnight and I peeked in on it, causing me to giggle quite a bit.  It is the Square Dance block, which is the same one I found yesterday when pulling out the Block A Day project.  A different color way and size, but still the same.  Question is: Do I just stick with the one I'm already working on or do both?  Gotta think for a bit on that.

My dining room table is still covered with a cutting mat and rulers encouraging me to finish up some needed items.  I fill in the missing parts for Talking Turkey (which starts next month) and then move on to John Paul's new "big boy" quilt for his birthday in March.  When that's finished, I drag all the solid stuff in from the studio and clean out the tub so that I can cut the backings for Mairead's quiet book.  Once those are complete, I realize that I have A LOT of solids that are smaller pieces and also remember that I'm short on quilts for boys.  Pulling the reds, oranges, golds, browns, and burgundy, I cut for the Stash Buster Challenge.  Cream for the chains and I'm ready to go for awhile at least.


One more item for today.  I'm pretty sure the backing I made for Ohio Star is too small so I rip out the two long seams and cut some pieces to insert tomorrow.  That's it for today --- not too shabby for the 1st day of the new year.

2nd -  I didn't make it to bed until about 2:30 this morning due to an overactive brain.  Argh!!!  Forcing myself to get up at a decent hour, I have hopes for an early sleep tonight.  Fingers are crossed at least.  Today, I get to sew.  I am seriously avoiding the cutting mat if at all possible.  At the end of last month, I brought out my sweet 185 to play with the strings.  Today, I'm actually going to sew with her and not just look as I walk by.  Jamestown Landing (JL) string units are on the agenda and 20 - yes - 20 in an hour - are ready to go.  Woot woot.  That's five more blocks I can put together.  Only 62 to go.

From there, I moved onto JP's birthday quilt.  I cut everything yesterday and started sewing the blocks today.  These go so quick BUT, and that's a big BUT, I made a crazy, huge math mistake and I don't have enough white cut (or left for that matter) to do the sashings.  I guess it'll have two different whites and life will go on.  Sixty-six blocks are complete and ready for layout.  I'll sash as I web, after I find more white and cut the parts.


Our Witch's Night Out QAL starts Saturday and I am so chomping at the bit.  I want to start.  I want to start.  This patience stuff is hard today.  To make myself a little more content, I find the paper plate with the parts we will be using this week and  . . . . layout on the block on a small design board.  I think I'm gonna like it a whole lot and this block looks like it will go quick - perhaps I need to add some pumpkins too for this month.  Hmmmn.

Last night while watching a show, I ripped out the backing from Ohio Star.  Yep, I was worried that it wasn't quite big enough.  I've cut a few more strips and will add them to each side of the main section on the back - tomorrow, as leader/ender for clue 7.  I quickly sew the pieces end to end so that they are ready in the morning.


 Two BAD blocks are put together amidst the other work today and, TA-DA, my finished string units.  It was a great day, filled with just doing whatever I wanted.


 3rd - Today is clue day and I am in Frolic mode.  The only thing is that I must have missed the communication between my plans and my brain.  It didn't go very well, but I did "get 'er done."  Here is the Clue 7 LINK for my work on Bonnie's mystery.  One leader/ender BAD block was completed along with the laundry and that's my take for the day.  Calling it done and relaxing for the evening.  I have much more to do, but . . . .

After going to bed rather early, I just couldn't go to sleep.  Back up and quietly cutting fabrics for the Stash Buster Challenge and at midnight -- I put up the Witch's Night Out post.  Now I can sleep.


4th -  Each year I LOVE January as a time for recharging and reevaluating.  The calendar is usually pretty clear and I get a lot of time to plan, make lists, set schedules, etc.  Today, however, is Saturday and that means time with my sweetie.   An early rise followed by some quick house chores and we are out the door by a little before 8.  It's a Member Morning at the Zoo so ya know where we are going.  The whole day is spent together and that creates a happy me.

It's afternoon before we are back home and I am lucky to have a little time to play.  The group Quilt-A-Long of Witch's Night Out begins today and I'm ready.  The hat block is complete without any issues and I love it.  There are even a few bonus triangles as part of the package.  These will go towards the label making process.  I still have some time, though, and my earlier scheduling has me probably out of town on Feb. 1st when the next block comes out.  I'm going to bust ahead and do the ones for next month.  It's a LOT more work as I let January be a bit of a 'get your feet wet' thing.  There are two different pumpkins next month and a total of 5 blocks.  Zoom, zoom, zoom.


The layout for the first two is not quick, but I'm hoping it will make the sewing go quicker.  I have made lots of these small pieced blocks before, but many others haven't.  This will be so fun to watch.


Following the directions (yes, it helps when you are totally unfamiliar with something), I get these two almost finished when the bobbin runs out.  I've also gone through all the bobbins I had prewound and since it is one of my hated chores, I'm done for today.

5th -  Mister had to work early this morning so I had time to finish these two blocks and start in on the layout for the next three.  So, may little sew and flip blocks.  I don't think I'll save the bonus triangles today, they are just too small.


All three are finished  and I'm feeling better about staying on top of this event.


A few errands are run, a bit more cutting for the Stash Buster Challenge (SBC).  Evening time with my sweetie and the weekend is over and back to my list now.  The pumpkins were not on it.  I must try and stay good or things will not happen.

6th -  Monday provides a beginning of sorts.  It is a new week, full of promise.  In an attempt to clean up at least one area of the house, I start with the dining room.  The solid scraps are cut and boxed and the SBC cutting is complete, at least for now.  Time will tell if I need more.  I also zipped out the the studio, located more white fabric, and cut new white strips for JP's quilt sashings and borders.  It's one of those "what was I thinking" times as I was sooooooo short when I thought I had already finished this task.  I then laid out the blocks for both the quilt top and the pillow sham.  I think I like it.


Settling in with my sweet green machine, 24 more JL string units are sewn, the backing for Ohio Star is back together and ready for sandwiching AND I even finished two BAD blocks as leader/enders.  A really good day.


7th -  One week of the new year already gone???  This does not bode well for the remaining 51 weeks.  I don't understand.  I am rising early and going to bed late.  I am putting as much into the days as I can.  They are still flying by.  This morning its back to the strings and I have finally hit that magic number of 160+ (I can't be precise as this is a copyrighted pattern).  I have jury duty tomorrow so these puppies are going along with me to be de-papered while there.  Do you remember that earlier picture that showed all the strings piled up.  Well, in the interest of honesty, I cut an additional 26 strings from some fat quarters and this is what I have left.  Wow.  These will just go into the "white" bin and be used in the future as I finish up UFO project.


That was the morning.  For my afternoon trick, I am working on Greyson's quilt (my future great-nephew).  The little blocks have been built and I have achieved a layout.  That almost sounds naughty, right?  It's followed by what I hope will be a quick trip to the post office (it wasn't - who in their right mind thinks the government should run businesses?  Just go stand in line for an hour - ARGH) and then I moved into starting the webbing for JP's quilt; making it almost halfway before it's dinner time - which is a yummy ham and lentil soup.


After dinner, Mister wants to go renew his library card and, well, I might as well get one too.  I wonder what this will bring into my life this year.


8th - Somehow I manage to get called for jury duty quite often.  It hasn't even been a year since my last trip downtown.  No complaints to be had here.  I don't mind at all and sometimes it can be crazy interesting.  It's an early, dark rise and my train is coming down the track.  Just one quick, blurry picture of the sunrise and away I go.  Downtown, I have a block to walk to catch the bus and while I'm waiting, a few early morning moments catch my eye.


I have arrived and settled into the central jury room.  Yesterday, when I was finishing up the string blocks, I made a decision to de-paper them while sitting here.  No scissors or cutting implements of any kind required.  I even had a lightbulb moment and brought my own garbage bag.

I have about 40 blocks to do and am done by 9:00 a.m.  Well, dang.  I obviously didn't bring enough to do.  I guess I'll play a few games on my phone.

At 10 they call 200 numbers to go into jury panels and tell the rest of us to take a break until a little before 11.  Perfect time to charge my phone a bit.  When the bailiff returns, we are released for the day and it's back to the bus station, where I discover that it will take 24 minutes before a bus arrives and it's only a 15 minute walk to the train.  It's turned into a decent day and a walk sounds nice.  Under the overpass, I get a peek at Reunion Tower and love it.


The walk is so pleasant and then, as I round the last corner and still 3 blocks from my station, I see my train coming up behind me.  Oh no.  I don't want to stand here and wait 20 minutes either so, a sprint is in order.  Yes, if only a video had been made.  This old lady, wheezing and panting, made the train.  Three city blocks is a LONG way.  I am definitely out of shape and need to figure out some way to remedy the situation.

Some lunch for Mister and the sewing machine calls.  I want to make some progress on my Rectangle Squared quilt.  It is all webbed and ready for the rows to be attached with long strips in between.  I get about a third of the way and we decide to get out of the house for the evening.  Five more BAD blocks and I'm outta here.

9th -  Today's assignment, should I choose to accept, is to take down all the decorations from Christmas.  I spent some time enjoying my tree before bed last night and am up earl this morning doing the same thing.  Once Mister wakes, that's it.  I'm a moving unit and by 1:00 I have everything finished except the actual tree and train.  Even the outdoor  decorations are boxed up and ready for the attic.  I'm beat, but . . . . the work is close to being done.


I get an early dinner underway and once we're fed, I have a bit of time to sew.  I would really like to finish putting this top together today.  Lots of progress is made and three more BAD blocks completed when I am given the sign to stop.  Mister has finished work and within half an hour, we have the train and tree down and EVERYTHING back in the attic.  The house looks so empty - stark, like winter.  I guess that makes sense.   Some time together and then I just can't take it.  It's after 9 and I KNOW he'll be saying it's bedtime, but I gotta try.  Woot woot!  With 10 minutes to spare (10 is really late you know, for a school night), the top is complete.  Now for a sham, backings, and quilting.


10th -  Friday FunDay -- another Frolic clue is released and I've been up waiting for it.  The second it hits, I'm off and starting.  It's a really fun step and you can follow along in this Clue 8 LINK.

Then it was off to the post office to mail a birthday gift, bank to make deposits, Joann's for some spray baste and dark blue applique thread, followed by a stop at the grocery store, which consisted of mostly fruit and vegetables along with some basics.  I think I'm set now for a few days in "in house" activity as it's supposed to be dang cold tomorrow.

While preparing for the cold weather, I went to the studio and retrieved all the batting scraps, my 301 table, and my Lady Elna.  I have several projects in mind for this week that will require these.  Might as well get them set up.

As I'm setting up the table, I remember the chair socks that Mister found at Daiso last week.  On they go and doesn't my sweet table look fashionable?  They fit perfect and will protect the floor without me putting another rug down.  Win, win.

Now for that box of batting scraps.  I have several upcoming quilts that will be done with my 301 as they are "grid" quilting and it's not something I feel at all capable of doing on the long arm, even though my goal this month is to get better acquainted with her.  I will --- just not starting out with straight lines.  With that in mind, some Frankenbatting will take place, but that means the scraps need to be tamed and prepared.  All the largest pieces are cut into straight strips.  They'll get zigzagged together and hopefully give me enough for my Ohio Star and John Paul's quilts.


Any bits too small for that, were tamed into 5" squares for a jean rag quilt that I'm working on.  I get 75, which is not even half of what I need before the February retreat.  There will be more scraps when quilting finishes so, perhaps. . . . . .  Everything goes really well and I FINISH the task.  As I turn to put things away, the rotary cutter is still in my hand and swiftly slices my index finger right at the base where it meets my hand.  Perfect.  No bending that finger for a few days.  I didn't even feel a second of pain though -- clean, clean cut.  Nearby batting trimmings were instantly put to use along with pressure before hunting Mister down to clean and dress it.  It's always something.

The storms are rolling in tonight and sirens are going all over the city.  We haven't had them, so I'm assuming it's moving north of us, but the rain, thunder, and lightning are beautiful to watch.


11th -  Another early rise for me and quiet time to let Mister sleep.  Baby it's COLD outside and as i work in the office, I can hear frozen rain hit the house.  Brrrr.  When Mister wakes, it is snowing, just barely, but it is definitely making an appearance.

Breakfast ensues and then the cutting table calls.  I found the perfect fabric to go with the jean squares I have for a rag quilt - the one I was cutting batting for yesterday.  There is almost enough but I'll figure out what to do with the few that I am short.  Mister chose this fabric years ago for a backing -- he's getting it.  We opt to stay home today and just have a lazy day.  Well, as lazy as we can be and still check a few things off lists.  Today, the box for a tea set is getting completed!!!  This has been on our list forever.


While working on it, I notice some movement out the back door.  We have a visitor.  Can you see it?


Is this better?  A coopers hawk, has decided to make a pit stop here.  I stand and take pictures for quite awhile and it just doesn't seem to mind one little bit.  There is another one circling and it keeps landing high in the tree, but I can't catch in with the camera.  I'm happy with these pics.  We've had these here before, usually about this time of year.  The biggest downside is that we won't have our songbirds out and about for a few days now.  While I've been playing with the camera, Mister has finished the center section of our tea set box.  Now to glue it all in place.


As he finishes up, I've set up Lady Elna so that she can do a little "Frankenbatting" today.  All those strips I cut yesterday are being put together in the hopes that I can use them up with current projects.  It takes 3 long strips and some smaller sections, but I have enough for JP's quilt.  Dang, this quilt needs a name, other than Rectangle Squared or JP's.  Get creative girl.  Maybe Windows of Blue?  I really am liking how it is turning out.


Once I had all the squares cut from my plaid, I discovered that I cut them slightly too small for my jean squares.  As a result, my next task is to trim 150 jean squares down 1/2 inch on both sides.  Now, all I have left is the need for 75 more batting squares - that will happen as I can tell there will be several left from the one batting I have completed and I have a couple more to go.  I also need to cut the batting for quiet book pages so need 11 of those as well.

Inside Lady Elna were some Row by Row blocks laying in waiting for final applique stitching.  Low and behold, one of them is perfect for the Frolic backing and another will work in JP's quilt too.  That gives me incentive to work on these during spare moments while the machine is set up.  Some petals on my bluebonnet receive attention tonight before I all it a day and join Mister in a cuddle on the sofa to watch a show. Until tomorrow.


12th -  Howdy!  The day looks to be a bit better than yesterday in respect to the weather, so perhaps we will leave the house.  It's a distinct possibility.  First though, while Mister sleeps, I think the tea set box has aired out enough and in the dishes go.  Once again, my sweet man has made the openings absolutely perfect for the pieces.  I love his help and it makes the gift extra special because we both work on it.  Beautiful box, isn't it.  I figured it matched pretty well, since the colors of the peacock are in the set.

Settling in on the sofa, I just sit and methodically lay out my Jamestown Landing blocks.  I am finally ready to just sit and make blocks.  This month still perhaps?


Now, let's get out of here for a bit.  We are off to play in Lakeside Park - come along in this Teddy Bear LINK and see a Dallas hidden gem.  So, so much fun.  We are only out for a few hours, but it revives us and I'm ready to move forward once again.  Walking in the brisk air can do that for you.  Try it.

Mister has decided to replace a shelf in my bedroom.  We have had the replacement for years, but you know how that goes.  Never a front burner item.  Today, apparently, it is.  While he does that, I am going to finish the applique on two Row by Row blocks.  An episode of The Crown, and they are done.


As is my shelf.  It's a wee bit longer than the one that was there, but much deeper.  Now, where shall the one go that we took down?


13th -  My goal today is to get "Windows of Blue" (WB) ready to quilt.  Yep, that's the name.  I have to make a back, sham, binding, and label.  It takes me pretty much ALL day but I can say that I am ready to sandwich tomorrow morning and then set up the 301 for quilting.  Whew.  I'm tired.  I had set aside 3 blocks for the sham and then had to figure out how to make it larger and still have it look like the two belong together.  Not an easy feat since I made the back first and used up all the leftover strips and pieces of the fabrics that are in it.  Yay Deb.  Never fear.  A whole box of 2 1/2" squares nets me enough to make a scrappy border and it even includes some of the same fabrics so it works.  A final round of white border, some frankenbatting, and a piece of muslin cut for a backing means I can sandwich this one too.


That just leaves the back for the sham and label.  I really didn't want to make the backing scrappy, so I gave in and cut up some yardage.  The little bits go into the label and presto-chango:  tomorrow is a definite work day.  Bring it on.  Somewhere through all of this, leftover batting gave me a couple of pieces for the quiet books and I finished 4 BAD blocks.  All in all -- a very productive day.

14th -  Even before coffee/breakfast, I hit the ground running this morning.  Immediately  upon rising, this quilt is getting sandwiched.  Crawling around on the floor first thing certainly is hard on these old bones, but it gets done and I have both the items all ready to quilt.  It's so early that I don't even take pictures of this stage, but I assure you it happened.  Spray baste and pins both.

A little nourishment and I'm settled in with the new 301 that Mister picked up at the end of last month.  She works beautifully and we are soon just happily stitching away.  The sham is complete with binding attached within the first hour and then I tackle the quilt.  It's just methodical straight-line (well, I guess that is debatable since I just eye-balled it) stitching from one side of the quilt to the other.  Listening to episodes of Cheers along the way, gives my mind something to do as well.  Life is good.  By 1:00, they are both finished and ready for hand stitching.


Not a whole lot more happens today.  I know, it was such a great start and I could have accomplished so very much, but if truth be told, I wanted to watch a few episodes of The Crown and just chill.  After dinner, I do stitch down the binding on the sham.  It is TA-Done.  As is this day.  Tomorrow is another chance to be creative.  See you there.

15th -  Halfway!  We are midway through the month.  Oh Em Gee.  Why must it go so quick?  The weather is CRAZY today.  It's so warm and humid.  There must be something else going on as I have the most intense headache first thing.  Ugh.  I'm just going to power through -- cleaning the studio doesn't require that many brain cells and it's a mess.  I can't even begin to quilt.  Before -


(Psst - these totes have been sitting here since October)


After -


I can walk again.  All the totes were cleaned out and items put away (as we are not returning to the beach) and I have a whole box of items to take to Brazos for donation as we are now in charge of our own food there.  Supplies are helpful.  With walking space once again available, I am ready to load a quilt, which I do.  Smith Mountain Morning is the one that will help me become more acquainted with this sweet machine and frame.  I can do it!


Once the quilt was loaded, I needed to thread the machine and that meant bobbins to wind.  When I received this machine, an automatic bobbin winder came with it, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work.  I know, I know -- read the directions, right?  Well, it took some digging but I did find them and miracle of miracles --- it works.  This is wonderful.


And now, the headache has taken over.  I cannot do any more right now.  Pills, must find pills.  I've toughed it out long enough.  Rain or something please?  Once the pills bring it to a dull throb, I attempt to find something non noisy to do.  Cutting.  Can't be too hard right?  I have to cut all the backs and batting for my Whimm's quilts.  The backing for the first one is pretty straight forward and then I decide to start the sashing backings too.  Well, that was a mistake and I gave up.  My head hurts --- going to bed.  I'll see ya'll again tomorrow.


16th -  YES!!!  Storms in the night and rain to wake up to.  My head doesn't hurt anymore and it's a new day.  Are we ready?  I'm staying inside today which means some time in my room.  With a baby quilt to set, it's the perfect little corner of the world.  I REALLY like how it is going so far and by noon I have not only the center done, but the borders are on, binding and label made, and I'm working on the batting.  I still have a bit of the Frankenbatting left and have my fingers crossed that it is the right size.  Oooooh, so close.  I can make it work - it just needs a few small bits which I will have after I use up all the rest of the odds and ends for quiet book pages, QAYG blocks, and rag quilt squares.  I finish up with a couple of 3" strips which will finish out the baby quilt perfectly.  I feel so good about the batting stacks being gone.  There is a quilt on the frame and what is left from it will likely finish out one QAYG and a few more rag quilt squares, leaving me one more quilting to get it all prepared and still not have any stacks sitting around.


 A group of BAD blocks were completed through today's sewing as leader/enders and the amounts are rising.


An inventory shows that I am definitely making progress.  I still have oodles to go, but . . .


17th - Well, it's here!!!  Clue 9 and the reveal are posted.  Wow, I'm overwhelmed.  I can start with cutting though.  Right?  To the table with the neutrals.  The table?  Drat.  There are blue scraps everywhere!!!  Also a few others I found while cleaning up the studio.  If I'm gonna cut, I might as well clean up too.  The blue scraps are leftover from WB and I wasn't sure if I'd need them for Frolic so I left them here.  With the final clue out, I do need a few blue pieces and the rest can go into the strip and square bins.  Several hours and loads of laundry later, the table has been cleared and I have added to many places, including the blue strings bin, which will get used next month.  A LOT.  One quick block layout for Frolic and then I really need to focus on cleaning up the rest of the dining room -- and that requires more cutting.


One of my goals for this month, is forward progress on the Whimm's quilts.  That means backings and borders/sashings to cut.  I cut one set of backings earlier, but still have a lot to do.  However, math is involved.  So, a cup of coffee and I settle in with graph paper.

I think I have it figured out for the sewing themed one, but still need to figure the borders/sashings for the Christmas on.  All the gold is cut and I have a huge chuck of black material starting at me now.  It's a start, though and now it is time to get dressed for my date.  We are off to an organ recital.  It's a wonderful evening and here is the LINK to more pictures and a peek for you.

It's after 10 when we return home, but even though I have been busy all day, I don't feel like I've accomplished very much.  That black fabric is calling me.  Within an hour, I have it all cut too and the only thing left for this quilt is the sashings.  That requires more math and I'll tackle it tomorrow.  Why so challenging?  Well, as I said before, I am going to do these QAYG.  That changes everything, including the sizes to cut.  I'm getting there . . . it's just, shall we say, challenging.


18th - Saturday has arrived and I'm awake bright and early.  Pictures are developed, blog post is written, and it's time to move on.  I have a Red Hat Event this morning and am just thinking of what to wear when Lori pings and is going to be in my neighborhood bright and early.  Do I want to meet for a bit?  Absolutely.  However, that means I DO need to get dressed now.

I have a white sweater that I want to wear today as my shirt is short-sleeved and it takes me almost 15 minutes to pick all the little threads off of it to make it presentable.  Hmmmn.  Maybe don't wear this one when sewing?   Everything comes together and I'm out the door by a little before 9 to meet Lori.  I'll be back to get Mister before heading to lunch.  For now, it's a stop at Rockin Bobbin.  We get a chance to talk about everything that is going on and plan some future fun together.  I also have the chance to pick up a few neutrals as they have a "10 for" deal.  I've been oh so good for oh so long and this is really not much at all, but helps the shop and enhances the area I need a little help.


From there, we are off to Richardson for lunch with the gals.  Don't they look grand?  Come along in this Red Hat LINK and share in our fun.

We even come away from the day with some Girl Scout cookies as we are preparing to leave the restaurant.  Perfect.  A trip to IKEA was next and we picked up some towels and a new microwave plate cover.  The reason for going there died when I saw their return policy.  Drat.  I have three shelves that we don't want anymore, but no receipt.  It figures.  Back home to the horrid math to figure out the second Whimm's fabric cuts.  I think I've finally got it and all the backing is cut when Mister says he wants to get back out for a bit today.  OHB closes in an hour so a quick stop there and goodness, look at all these porters and stouts.  I am ecstatic but can only choose one - should have done a sampler. 


As we're sitting there, the BBQ guy comes in and his hat -- oh his hat.  I want one for Mister as his yard hat is shot and this one looks great.  Following him out to the BBQ, he shares where he got it and for how much.  Birthday season is coming up for my sweetie and I'm on the hunt now.

We finish out the night with a movie -- Richard Jewell is at the dollar theater and that's perfect.  WE both really liked it a lot.  What a wonderfully, well done film.  It has a couple Oscar nominations, so we'll see.  Back home and I have a chance to cut the front border pieces.  All that is left is cornerstones and sashings.  Tomorrow is another day.


19th -  I love early Sunday mornings.  My sweetie loves to sleep in a bit and I have the quiet of the house for a bit.  Once I finished photos and blog posts, I aim to finally complete the cutting for these Whimm's quilts.  Everything is cut except batting and I'm waiting to finish a couple of quilts so I can use the scraps for that part.  It's all put away except for this month's 2 blocks and I'm starting to see the dining room and den again.  I also finish up cutting the 3 pocket blocks for my denim rag quilt and it's boxed up as well, also just waiting for a few more batting pieces.

That clears some space for Greyson's quilt.  A quick add-on of the little batting pieces to make it fit right and I have this one sandwiched and ready to quilt.  Every step forward is an improvement, right?

Mister has gone outside to work for a bit and I settle in with my Jamestown Landing blocks and also put that one lone Frolic block together just to see how it will look.  Well, it looks like I need to take it back apart and work on the points.  Not today, but I will get 'er done.


 Settling in with WB, the hand stitching has commenced and by the time Mister puts on a movie for us to watch, I only have the label area left.  Tomorrow I will have a finish!  That feels so good.  While sitting, movement catches my eye again and our visitor is back.

Later, an opossum makes an appearance, prompting me to comment that we see quite a bit out our back door, how much do we actually miss?

20th -  Do you ever wake with a good plan?  Want to jump right up and get to it?  Today is one of those days.  It is a bit chilly out, so I want to work in the house until noon and then head to the studio for the warmer part of the day.  FIRST thing - seriously, even before coffee (7:30) - the tables get set up and I start in on quilting Greyson's quilt.  He is arriving in April and I'm ahead of the game -- woohoo!!!  I want to cross-hatch this one, so no frame, just the old eye-balls as marking it all just takes too long.


It turns out that the eyeballs have their short-comings and I have to fix a couple of spots along the border, but overall, I'm happy with it.  Trimming and adding binding take place immediately and the whole thing is ready for hand stitching by 10:45.

Since I had decided to stay in until noon or so, that leaves some time.  Back to my room and the Jamestown Landing blocks.  One right after another, webbing, webbing, webbing and by 3 they are all complete.  Yep, what happened to "studio at noon?"  I can't answer that one.  I can, however, use some time just sitting on the sofa so I grab BW and within 5 minutes have the binding finished (all that was left was across the label).  It is TA-DONE.


Deciding to count the JL blocks, just to make sure, I discover that the 37 blocks I sewed today all have the string blocks going a different way than the pattern calls for.  ARGH!!  The five blocks I had already completed were correct.  What to do - what to do?  A quick layout proved that it didn't really matter as long as they are all the same.  Well, I'm not going to rip out 37 blocks, so the original 5 are on the table - for later.  Not right now.


Right now, I need calm.  Netflix is on and I am happily hand stitching the binding on this sweet baby quilt.


And it is TA-DONE too.  Front


and back -


Mister has joined me to watch a show, so I might as well take these dang blocks apart too.  Mission accomplished and they will be back together early tomorrow morning.  THEN - studio time.

21st -  Three weeks of this month are behind us.  I have one week left before I leave for Utah and my list is not yet finished.  Go, girl, go.  First up is to re-dew the 5 Jamestown Landing blocks.  I really want to be back where I was yesterday.

I have once again decided to go out to the studio at noon, when it is warmer.  Several hours exist between now and then and I have projects ALL over my bed still.

One is the upcoming Talking Turkey Quilt-A-Long.  I am going to be out of town on the 1st when step one hits, so I want to at least have a chance of keeping up with the gang.  Therefore, all my nine-patches are going to be sewn and awaiting my return.  Is this cheating?  I don't know, but I'll be shorted 4 days that very first week, so it seems kinda fair.  Okay, it's a stretch, but I'm going with it.

As I work on the nine-patches, Frolic blocks are my leader/enders.  I would love to devote all my time to this but just can't find the time.  One more block is complete.


As are the nine-patches for Talking Turkey.


I still have a wee bit of time before going out back, so I just keep working on the additional units for Frolic.  Some steps forward are better than none.


Finally ---- out I go.  The aim is to get Smith Mountain Morning quilted and I struggle for quite awhile with it all.  The directions for putting the frame together AND the diagrams for loading the quilt onto the frame don't match and I followed the set up directions.  I am just having so many issues quilting, but Mister pops in and we are soon able to remove rails (with the quilt on) and move things around to get it to work properly.  So many issues with this, but it's done and I've made huge steps towards understanding the machine AND the frame.


As soon as its off the frame, I make a beeline to the house, trim the batting off, and get the binding and label on.  I have found that if I do that right away, things just keep moving forward.

Now to clean up all the scraps, including the leftover batting from the edges and what remained on the bolt (and was too small for anything I have in the works right now).  All the rag quilts squares are complete, one Whimms quilt is totally cut and most of the second one.  One more quilt from the frame should finish it all up.  Can I get that done this month?  The days are rapidly disappearing ---- think, think.

22nd -  I am DETERMINED today.  After going over the things on my list that I still have to do, I am stuck with what was planned for this 24 hours.  I wanted to photograph the two finished quilts and get one in the mail along with a grandson's birthday present.  It is raining, raining, raining and no end in sight so that won't go as planned.  Part of going to the post office included picking up some painters tape so I can sandwich my Ohio Star quilt.  That's not happening today either.  PUNT.  The Jamestown Landing blocks go down and are laid out.


After picking those up, I am just not ready to tackle all those seams and opt to make the back instead.  That only requires 4 seams and is much more to my liking right now.  I think this layout will work.


Then, I move onto the label and binding.  I even sew all the blue border pieces into one loooooong strip.   Now I have no choice but to work on the top.

Using sets from Frolic as my leader/enders, I am able to get several blocks ready for final stitching and that makes me happy.  See, I'm pretty easy all around.


 Three hours of pressing, pinning, sewing, pressing, pinning, sewing, etc. and the center is together.


At this point, I'm honestly tired of the sewing machine.  I know that's hard to believe, but true.  Settling in on the sofa with Longmire on Netflix, I set to finish the binding on Smith Mountain Morning and it is TA-Done by the time I'm ready to call it a night.  Whew.


23rd - Zoom, zoom, zoom.  Did you hear that?  It was time flying by.  I have 4 full days left this month before leaving town, and, well, 3 of them are days with my sweetheart and one is to clean house and pack.  That kind of means today may be the end of  "really productive days."  With that in mind, I want to finish the borders on Jamestown Landing so I set right in.  The first thing I do is take my pieced border and run the staystitching line around it as I've found that is so much easier to do at this stage than after they are on the quilt.


Following that, the inner border ones goes easy and I quickly moved to the pieced one. Sides go smooth and then HALT!!!  I am short for the last border.  Are you kidding me?  I made these eons ago and what are the chances I can come up with enough strings in the bin?  Gotta give it a try.

Miracle of miracles, I find close to the right amount and throw in a couple different fabrics because I can't find quite enough of the originals.  I'm feeling a bit lucky after the earlier frustration.  Two sheets are sewn and cut, then attached to the existing border and it's enough, with a wee bit left over.  Wow.  While all of this is going on, my batting ordered earlier this week arrived.  Six bundles dropped on my doorstep and right in front of the door.  Wonderful.  I had to walk around the house to get the door open.  Fun, fun.  All are put away in the studio and I head back to my project.


Finally!!!  The top is complete.


And at the same time --- the sun magically appears.  Well, dang.  This day is improving.


Some time sewing more Frolic parts and then I'm just done with the machine.  Kinda tired for today.


The labels are written on




and I drag my sorry backside out to the studio to load JL.  That's right -- no dust sitting here today.


You would think this day was over right?  Nope.  We have a special date night - one of our Christmas gifts was tickets to a really fun Chinese New Year dinner with Chef Kent Rathbun.  We are dressed up and out of here for some fun.  You can catch up with our fun in this Dinner at the Arboretum LINK.

24th - Mister was given a day off (for having worked the holidays) and today we have the whole day to spend together.  As the sun comes out, we notice the quince blooming in the back yard and can't wait for a few more days before it truly pops.  A new neighborhood coffee shop/cafe has opened giving us the chance for a nice walk and breakfast.  Soco Coffee is a great little spot and offers another option for us.  A quick walk home, some pictures of finished quilts, boxing up of one and we are out of here again.  The post office is first up and the little resale shop next door, where I find some crazy, fun earrings to use with Red Hats.


On to Harbor Freight for blue tape so that I can get my Ohio Star quilt sandwiched.  Next to Penney's where I discover that I don't have my phone and am so hoping it got left at home.  Mom sent us gift cards for Christmas and I'm really crossing my fingers to find a black dress jacket. All the coats are 60-80% off and, although, it takes me quite a bit of time, I do find ONE coat that fits me.  It doesn't have a sale price on it so I'm hoping it will work in my budget.  Woot -woot.  It goes home with me and Mister is, once again, unable to find something he wants.  From Penney's it's a stop at the Bank of America to make some changes to accounts and, as always, give me another lesson in an anger management.  I cannot tell you how much I HATEe banks and their ridiculous red tape.  It takes us a LONG time and a trip home to retrieve a document and locate my phone, but we get it all accomplished.  Now for a movei - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and then to OHB for one drink, where we offer to take the brewer home as his car isn't working.  In our haste to leave, I left my phone for the second time today.  ARGH!!!  This has been such a frustrating day.  Home without my phone as OHB has closed and I am struggling between anger with myself for leaving it a second time AND total irritation with myself that it bothers me so much.  Kind of an eye opener.

25th -  A quiet morning at home and then to pick up my phone and run some errands.  The first stop is at Costco, where Mister hauls me over to look at computers.  I NEVER handle technological changes well and, although I know I have to get a new computer (I do not have Windows 10 and all support ended the first of the year), I just want a new "what I have" and it appears that is not possible.  I do select one, but we need to do some things first - Costco gives great warranties if you use their credit card, which we don't have, so that needs to take place first and I want to compare what I have now to what I selected. Next stop is Best Buy, which we also have a gift card at and more computer looking.  Nothing here that I want.  On the way home, we decide to check out the new Costco Business Store right near us and this store has a lot of possibilities with the upcoming changes taking place at retreat.  While there, we did get the credit card and now are able to make a final decision on a computer.   Back home for the evening and ordered pizza,binge watched Instant Hotel and sandwiched two Whimm's.

26th -  My hips have not been wonderful the last few days and this morning, I am actually breaking down and taking something.  I hate pills and avoid them like no other, but I'm tired of hurting.  I leave in two days and have so much to do in this house.  I want to start cleaning and can't do that until one more project is complete in there.  Once the pills take effect, I am determined to get it done.  Down goes the Ohio Star backing, taped and stretched smooth.  Then the batting is glued down - with LOTS of help from Mister, followed by the top.  He leaves me to add the pins myself and my thoughts travel down to memories of this being the only way I could quilt for several years.  My midarm rescued me from all of this floor crawling agony and now I am putting myself through it once again.  Why???  For the simple fact that with the new longarm, I am not very confident and this is the oldest UFO I have.  I want to keep with the older style quilting and that requires some straight lines.  I'll do better on my domestic. Taking a little over an hour, it's done and I start cleaning the living room and dining room.  That takes another hour and I'm done in.  Perhaps a bad hip day was not the best for this.  With a couple hour rest under my belt, a hot shower and more medicine helps and I clean up my bedroom to prepare for packing.  Then it's out to dinner with our nephew who is moving to New York in March.  Great food and fun at Kalachandji's.


Once home, we were sitting in the den and saw a bright flash of light --- a transformer blew nearby and poof - no more internet.  Off to bed.

27th -  Good morning!  It is FOGGY out today and that doesn't happen here very often.  I know it doesn't really look like it with my pictures, but it's hard to see very far down the street.

However, here is a clue --- this was posted on Fox 4 News Facebook page this morning.  Woah.


Out on the porch, Mister's aloe vera plant is blooming and it's kind of underwhelming, don't ya think?


So - today.  Well it's a chore day.  Laundry, house cleaning, grocery shopping, a trip to the dentist, blah, blah, blah.  Oh - and - packing.  I'm packing for two back-to-back trips and that is always so much fun.  Nothing to check off on the goal sheet today, but lots of items on the "to-do" list.  At any rate, it's up, up, and away tomorrow.

28th - Busy, busy day.  A flight to Utah - IKEA, Thanksgiving Point - Butterfly Biosphere, Pizza for dinner and to the house to crash.  Follow along with some GREAT butterfly pics in this LINK.

It's my first chance to meet the newest member of our family AND spend some time with grands I haven't seen for awhile.  All in all -- an A for the day.  Enjoyment was had by everyone and there were lots of smiles all around.


29th - It's a white day in Provo.  I cannot see the mountains from either direction here in the basin.  Warmth is also not really on the agenda for today.  A couple of the kids are not feeling too great - think fever - so we're staying in today and just 'laxin.  With that on my plate, out comes my red work on the Winter Wonderland project.  Perhaps I can make some progress.  When O gets home from school and the siblings are napping, she wants to make some hearts and do a heart attack on the door for her sister.  Pretty sweet right?  She and I settle in at the table to see what we can come up with and Cassie even provides some cute little cards for us to color as well.  This LINK shares our fun.


Oh so quietly, O decorates the door while her sister sleeps.  These are the moments that moms live for.  Unprovoked thoughtfulness.

30th -  It's another day in Utah for me and as I help the kids clean up their room this morning, my heart warms as I make the beds.  It's so fun to make quilts for others, but when you see them being used, well, that's even better.  We have a great day with lots of fun times and memories made.  During some play time with their quiet books, I discover that there are a few repairs that need to be made.  I've hauled the books to my room and hopefully I can have them all fixed in no time.  More red work today --- making progress.


31st -  The LAST day of January.  It almost doesn't seem possible and I have to admit that I have truly enjoyed this month.  It's been wonderful to just work on my projects and enjoy time with my sweetheart and family.  Cookie dough making, playing, and quiet book repairs occupy our day.  I did completely fix one book and am working on the second.  I've completed two full rows of stitching on my Winter Wonderland top and moving into another block so feel good about that as well.  That leads me into -----

February's Roaring 20's change???  Retreats start back up -- my plan is to play more, be silly as much as possible.  Some would say that isn't a change.  Perhaps it isn't, but taking the opportunity to thoroughly enjoy each moment as they come is a change.  I would like to feel solid joy at just having the adventures that are presented.  My roar this month will be coming from the heart --- to feel and share more and help others as much as possible.  It's a great change for me -- and one that I'm happy to make.



UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Smith Mountain Morning - quilted and bound -  DONE

Current Projects:

Frolic Mystery - Clues 7, 8 , 9 building units and blocks
Witches Night Out - Monthly Assignment Finished - January and February done
Start Planning Quiet Book - cut page backings, selected all patterns, some drawn, some printed, batting cut
John Paul Quilt - cut out  YES - actually quilted and bound
Greyson Quilt - blocks made YES - actually quilted and bound
Stash Buster project - Cut and set up

UFO Items for This Month:

Ohio Star - Backing fixed , quilted and bound no, but it is sandwiched and ready
Two Whimms blocks (QAYG done - one from each quilt)  All backings, sashings, borders, front and back cut - batting cut for one, most of second
1 Row by Row block - Yes - 2 of them
Jamestown Landing - all string blocks finished  yes and blocks made - backing, binding, label made, center sewn, borders added and loaded on the frame.
BAD blocks as leader/enders - Yes, quite a few finished

UFO Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set - DONE and delivered
Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once -
Red Embroidery on Winter Wonderland - two long rows completed - it's a start


Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

Since this is January, there aren't any previous ones yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment