Saturday, March 17, 2018

Texas Tumbleweeds Week Six and Finale

The FINALE!!  Six weeks and a top.  How cool is this?  I have high hopes to at least complete the top this month.  Quilting is not likely as I'm traveling a bit, but even still --- I'm moving along.

3/7  Okay so I am cheating just a little bit today.  I have some time and get the center laid out (Yes, there are some turned blocks.  I found them when picking it all up.) and stacked in wonderful rows for webbing when I get the chance.   What do you think?




If I'm getting set up, I might as well put everything together that this needs.  I've changed my mind on the raspberry inner border.  A trip to the studio yields this orange and it makes my heart happier.  Adding in the fabric I picked up in Waco for the outer border and I really like it.


One more trip to the studio and I have found a backing that will work.  Awesome.  Now, it appears that I need some binding fabric.  Dang, I get to shop.


3/9 - Dallas Quilt Show today and my big purchase is the binding fabric for this pretty girl.

3/16 - Yes, a whole week has passed.  I didn't manage to get back to this so it came with me to retreat and today is setting day.

First, I lay out all the rows in order.  Now to just methodically work until they are all webbed together.  I love this method and for the most part, it works lovely for me.

Today is another good day.


Now to sew the rows together.  Yes, it can be done in small spaces.


3/17 - I didn't quite get her finished last night.  First thing this morning, borders go on and I am able to call it a top.


TA-DA at retreat


The rest of the day is spent putting the back together - it needed a center seam - and making the binding and label.  Whew.  All that remains is quilting and binding.  I'll update this post when that happens and keep your fingers crossed for me.  Likely in April.

It's been a fun Quilt-A-Long.  I have loved seeing all the different tops come together.  Until the next on, keep on creating.

It is NOW 3/23/2019.  Yep over a year later but this quilt has finally made it's way onto the frame.  How long will it take me to actually quilt it?  Stay tuned.


4/2  My sweetie loves this quilt and he doesn't like dense quilting.  I have opted for a loopy meander and am using tan on top with a variegated brown on the bottom.  Since my machine hates variegated on the top, I gotta use it up somehow.

Everything goes so well and I am making crazy quick progress --- right up until I hit the perfect spot that I must have missed when sewing the border on.  Fun times.  We are at a halt now.


About 10 minutes of fixing and I'm back on track.  A little under four hours and this baby is off the frame.  I absolutely LOVE it.



A quick trim and it's going to retreat with me Thursday where I'll add the binding/label and finish with hand stitching.


4/4  My very first item at retreat today is to get the binding attached to this beauty.  It's the only progress I make on it today but I am moving forward.

4/5 By the time I cannot keep my eyes open any longer, I have finished two sides of the hand stitching.  It' really looking nice and I'm super excited for the finish.

4/6  Good Morning.  My very first task is to finish this and before lunch I have my TA-DONE!!!  I love this one so much and cannot wait to give it to my sweetie.  This was a great quilt-a-long and I'm very glad I participated in it, even if I'm one of the last to finish and a year later than I planned.  Onto the next project.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting pattern. Love the colors in the quilt! Lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie Hunter never ceases to amaze. Thank you for the nice words.

      Delete
  2. I really like that. Looks like it was a fun quilt-along. Good choice on the orange inner border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun quilt-a-long. Thank you on the border. I really like it too.

      Delete