Sunday, March 18, 2018

Brazos Blooms Quilt Retreat

This time of year, the months go screaming by and it seems as though one might think we are always at retreat.  Well, in all fairness, they are definitely more frequent during February-May.  I think we have a total of 28 retreats days during this time.  Almost a month.  Wow.  At any rate, here I go again -- off to Brazos for days of fun with friends.

Day 1 - I was terribly remiss this morning.  No pictures of departing, arriving, setting up, etc.  Hmmm.  I'm not sure why that is but I will try to do better the remaining time here.

Darlene has just arrived and I am now running for my camera.  It is her birthday -- no, I didn't know -- and she has walked in with her own cake.  Her daughter made this for her birthday present and she brought it to share with all of us.  Isn't it just incredible?




Just take a second to look at all the wonderful detail, up close and personal.  One can even see the threads on the spools.  Simply magnificent.



The house is starting to fill up and we have a bag that several ladies are attempting to make.  I just finished mine a couple of days ago and I know what they are in for.  Let the fun begin.

As a special treat, Darlene has brought back her rooster -- all quilted and bound.  I LOVE it so much.


Paula has a TA-DA to share


All day long Andrea has been in the library with LulaRoe.  It's such fun and we all soon have fun new items to take home with us. 

Happy Birthday Darlene --- Thank you so much for sharing this delicious cake.  The whole thing is edible except for one small area.  We start by taking the top off and cutting it for everyone.  Yummy.

My project for today has been to underglaze the remaining tea set.  I really need to get these fired as soon as I get home, thus paint, paint, paint.  I've decided that this one is a Fiesta set.


Darlene has a TA-DA - crib sheet.  How fun.  She sure is in the limelight and it's as it should be on her birthday.

Right behind her is Paula with a HUGE TA-DA.

Maria has been sitting and sewing away.  Her TA-DA makes me smile as I see the numbers.


Followed by Connie with her TA-DA.  She ripped and sewed and ripped and sewed on this one.  The ripping?  Actual ripping and on purpose.


After my tea set, I put together a quick pocketed travel pillow for my upcoming trips.  I really like it and the pocket will help with my phone and boarding pass.  Perfect.


Val with another TA-DA.  These ladies are really making progress today.


With two projects behind me, I pull out the fall wall hanging that I started last retreat and am able to complete the top.  TA-DA


And that's the end of day 1.  Wow --- I am so impressed with the amount finished today.  It seemed like we spent a large part of the day just visiting and yet . . .  Good night ya'll.


Day 2 -  Happy Day!!!!  Any day at Brazos House is a happy day indeed.  I slept in just a bit and the room is already buzzing away by the time I walk in.  My project for the day is to attempt setting my Texas Tumbleweeds top.  Wish me luck.

Lana starts things out with a TA-DA


After lunch, the decision is made to walk down to the river.  It is such a beautiful day out and we are off to see the new trail. 


The arrow pointing the way leads to a new trail and it makes the trek to the river easy as can be.

The river is low and we are able to get out onto the bed.  Darlene and Connie cross to the other side and then throw down a "double dog dare" for the rest of us.  Maria and I take them up on it and the water feels super nice.

A great time is had by all and I'm ready to sew once again.


Oh --- I almost forgot.  When Darlene arrived back, she appeared to be "with child" and walked to her table to deliver beautiful rocks.

Meanwhile, in the library, Rocky and Frieda are still working away in the library.  These bags are a bit large and need extra space to quilt.
Maria has another TA-DA --- I have no idea how she does this.


Connie has a second TA-DA too - What a great way to work with a panel.


The TA-DA's just keep coming -- Val


Phyllis TA-DA


Val calls me outside to show me what Rocky has been doing.  She brought a jackfruit and shows everyone how to clean it and what parts are edible.

It's a great demonstration and I walk away having learned quite a bit.  The fruit is pretty good, too.  They are just so dang big.


I love looking around the room and seeing all the interaction along with the many projects coming together. 

As I'm looking around, someone else is looking in the door.  Hmmmm.

Lana with her fat quarter bag TA-DA


It's game night!!!  But first, we have a new sapphire in the house.  Congratulations Janet.

These evenings are always just so much fun and I love the smiles and shenanigans to death.  Plus, leave it to Val to show us how to party hard in the costume department.


Tonight's winner are:  Janet (fat quarters), Rocky, and Paula


After the games are complete, it's time to relax and socialize a bit.  Lana went home early as she didn't feel well, so a toast to her seems perfect.

Four of us manage to stay in the kitchen visiting and laughing for almost four hours.  Yes, you read that right.  The highlight of the evening is this statement:  "I could do Algebra."  I can't go into details, just know that it will go down as a legend from here on out.

Just as we are about to call it a night --- another picture is required.  Or two --- or three.  Who knows.

Such fun with these ladies.  Love them so very much and am blessed to have them in my life.


As I return to the room, Frieda has taken a break from her bag and put together a TA-DA ---


I've almost finished putting the borders on my top, but am calling it a night.  In fact, I am truly too tired to even get up off the floor for the last picture.  Thus, everyone joined me.  Now, that's friends.

Day 3 - Happy St. Patrick's Day.  I quickly make a trip to the main room to deliver green sparkly hats to everyone for the day.  Let the wearing of the green begin (well for everyone except Val, who started last night).

Mindy with a TA-DA


Phyllis with another TA-DA



My borders are on --- so TA-DA


As soon as lunch is complete, we decide to take another trek to the river.  This time we are a party of three.  It is supposed to storm and is a bit eerie out. 

As we approach the second rope down, we discover that the rains north of us have already filled the riverbed and we are unable to wander and play.  It's crazy how much water is there now.  (Scroll back up and see how it looked yesterday and it hasn't even started raining here yet - wow.)

Well, at least we can get a picture, right?


Back at the house --- another Val TA-DA


Followed by two Show and Shares from Betsy.  These are crazy cool.


Betsy arrived at retreat with a beautiful basket to use as a gift for Bingo.  After a couple of regular games, we decide to play blackout for the basket.  Believe it or not --- three ladies called Bingo at the same time and had to share the basket.  Lucky gals.


Maria - TA-DA


Darlene and LaDonna with fidget blankets along with a table runner TA-DA for LaDonna.


The bag work continues in the kitchen -- these ladies are really giving it their all.


We are treated to a surprise visit by Stephanie and Paige and it causes Janet to be all smiles.

It's always nice to have visitors but somehow they get put to work.  In exchange for dinner, we needed a photographer for the group picture.  Thank you Stephanie.

Here are the lovely ladies of the Brazos Blooms retreat minus two.  Lana and Connie both left yesterday and I was not prepared enough to get the picture taken at that time.  Back row:  Janet, Betsy, Val, Rocky, Yours Truly, Maria, Mindy.  Front row:  Frieda, Darlene, Phyllis, Gwen, Tracey, LaDonna, Paula.  Thank you all for being a part of my life.


After three days of pure misery --- Rocky has her bag TA-DA.  Way to go girl.  It even earns her a special charm.  A well deserved charm.


Betsy fidget blanket


Gwen, too, has completed her bag.  TA-DA.  The best part for me, though, is awarding her Golden Scissors for this and totally surprising her.  Those in the room who had already earned them, voted and decided that this project went above and beyond the requirements for them.  Congratulations Gwen.


Mindy TA-DA


Paula TA-DA


Frieda has also completed her bag and has her TA-DA.  She also is surprised with Golden Scissors.  The best part --- she is a newbie and this is her first retreat with us.  Of course, the bag could have made it her last, but she persevered.  Welcome Frieda and Congratulations.


And that's it except for talking a wee bit.  The whole room shut down around 12:30.  It's time for some sleep before driving tomorrow.  Good night ya'll.


Day 4 -  We are all packed up and ready to roll.  It seems like an early departure this time, but I'm actually ready to see my sweetheart.

One last picture of the bag ladies.  And that's it.  Until next month, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. You gals sure do know how to have a good time! Thanks for the show and tell, such a great variety of projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that is a true statement. Retreats are oh so fun. Love that you peeked in on us.

      Delete