Wednesday, August 16, 2017

24 Hours at Miller's B&B

As a result of globetrotting and running camps all summer, I have been experiencing a dearth of girl time.  Not mother/daughter or granddaughter "girl" but my GIRL time.  I've watched people gather at various places to sew together and wished I could too, but it just didn't fit the schedule.  However, one event caught my eye and I thought, maybe, just maybe, I could make it happen.  My soul sister (I'll explain that sometime), Sherri, is alone for 10 days and has opened her home to visitors.  That includes weekdays.  Aha!  I happen to have one of those in between Abilene and Portland.  With the perseverance of a pit bull, I grab ahold and sink my teeth into this idea.  I know I can only eke out ONE day, but 24 hours would be incredible.

With some quick talking through a beer, I have secured the car.  Woohoo.  Now, can I leave the night before?  Yippee!!!  This means that my sweet machine needs a spa treatment.  Come on pretty lady, you're gonna like this and feel oh so much better when we are finished.  (Seriously ladies - she's getting cleaned.)

I am packed and ready to go when my sweetie arrives home from work.  A few minutes later, the car is loaded and I am on the road again.  I am starting to believe that Willie sang that song just for all of us.  It only requires a few word changes and you'll know just what I mean.  Check it out.



On the road again 
Just can't wait to get on the road again 
The life I love is sewing fabric with my friends 
And I can't wait to get on the road again

 On the road again 
Goin' places that I've never been 
Seein' things that I may never see again 
And I can't wait to get on the road again 

On the road again
 Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway 
We're the best of friends 
Insisting that the world keep turning our way 
And our way Is on the road again 

Just can't wait to get on the road again 
The life I love is buying fabric with my friends 
And I can't wait to get on the road again 
And I can't wait to get on the road again 

Tell me I'm not right?  We travel for retreats, sew days, festivals, quilt shows, classes, shopping days, etc.  Just give us reason and we are on the road again.  Today, I have such a reason and I am, indeed, going someplace that I've never been.  I have perma grin.

Upon my arrival, there is a quick hug and and the expected, "I gotta pee."  Once that is out of the way, we unload my car, hop in Sherri's car, and zip into Athens for a town tour and some food.  I am starving.  Somehow through the day, food was forgotten and my stomach is in the process of expressing extreme unhappiness in me.  Food fixes that, conversation softens the edge from racing around the last few months, and I'm in a Dr. Pepper infused happy place by the time we return to Sherri's Shangri La.  Quickly, my machine is up and we sew the night away until after midnight.  Let me take a quick picture - oh wait - is everything hidden?  Yep, that's right.  I can't share anything I'm working on here.  Just you wait -- September 1 is rapidly approaching.

Around one, we call it a night.  See ya'll tomorrow.


Waking with a smile, I slept good and longer than usual.  I think Sherri is surprised but oh well.  I'm a tired girl right now.  After a wonderful breakfast prepared by my hostess with the mostess, she settles in to update the sign.  Ahhhhh --- I love her creativity.  And I covet her ability to draw.  I missed that line when preparing to come to earth.

Now that it's daylight, I can see what a magical place this is.  Oh, I am reminded of the lake I spent my high school years on.  I really miss that.

As I cut and sew, the scene outside calms me no matter which window I look out of.

Spotting a chair in the corner, my heart melts.  Ain't it the truth?


Out in the living room, I spot something I'm pretty dang sure is destined for the beach retreat next month.  I'm just not sure Sherri and the intended recipient will be there at the same time.  Must make that happen.

Some friends of hers have a new boat and she walks down to see it while I get dressed.  Yes, apparently being out here in pajamas gets one a bit of teasing.

As I walk out the door, I see a line of geese quietly swimming (floating?) by and shoot several pictures while I am walking, but this one is by Sherri as mine just didn't turn out at all.


Oh the dock is wonderful.  I could spend HOURS down here.  In fact, the storage area should contain a treadle on wheels.  What a perfect place to stitch away the time.  Coveting again.

Sherri suggest that we hop on the jet ski and go for a little ride, assuring me that she will NOT dump me in the lake.  Being the trusting soul that I am, an agreement is reached and off we go.

Our first stop is to see if she missed the friends boat and yep, she did so we drive by to check it out.  I also spot the geese on the lawn and risk using my camera while we are putting along.  Canadian geese also remind me of Montana.  Ugh.  Maybe I need a trip up there.  NO -- no more unplanned activities.  Must say no.


Away we go ---  Oh, it's so beautiful.



We have a great ride and while out there an idea is hatched for this afternoon.  It will require another trip on the jet ski, but it's a plan.  Oooooooh, these minds at work.


After being dropped off at the dock, she swings around to park the jet ski and I get a chance for a pic of just her -- sans pajamas.


Back up at the house, it's lunchtime and we are having carb-less BLT's.  I LOVE them.  Could eat them by the dozens.  Mental note: Must make these for Mister.

Dessert is ---- drumroll please --- espresso beans and Dr. Pepper.  You didn't think we'd let that pass did you?  Sherri even licks every last bit from her fingers.  Soooo good.

About this time, my camera is only being used for top secret stuff.  We DO go back out for another ride but that, too, is secret right now.  Oh, the fun.

A yummy dinner of tortilla soup and I have to hit the road.  My sweetie really worries about me if I drive after dark and I certainly don't want to make him worry more than he already does.  Sadly, that means I have to go but I cannot tell you how good this 24 hours was for me.  I am ready to go again.  Thank you, Sherri, for always being there and for ALWAYS having my back.  I love ya.  See ya in Surfside next month.  It's BEACH time.

1 comment:

  1. Getaways are good for us! Sounds like this one was perfect!

    ReplyDelete