Thursday, April 20, 2023

Quilt Sisters at The Cincinnati Zoo -- Sherri's Bucket List Adventure

 When we first mentioned taking a trip to Ohio, the first thing Sherri  mentioned was that the Cincinnati Zoo was along the way and she would love to see Fiona, the hippo.  I aim to please and if things can be fit it, we try.  Today, Sherri Stephannie, and I are having a great time with the animals.  Come along and share in our fun.  It's a great morning!  Even Chuck the Duck is along for the ride.  

I guess I should truly share the whole story here.  I tried very hard to get tickets using my Dallas Zoo membership and the reciprocal benefit.  After being on hold for 25 minutes and unable to get it done online, I turned to my sweetheart.  I didn't exactly ask for him to do the work, but he did and when all was said and done, we had three tickets for Friday.  This was done on Wednesday and we were going to be in Cincinnati on Thursday.  No worries, right?  Well, we arrived and I was all set to argue our case and my crazy old husband's inability to hit the right button but all we did was walk right through.  It was kind of anti-climactic to what I had envisioned.  At any rate - we're in and ready to get our bearings.  We see where to go and away the three of us go.


A few things spotted along the walk to the hippos - 



Entering Africa - 


The path takes us past some pelicans and meerkats - how fun.


This look is priceless!!!!


We're there!!!  Go Sherri Go.


Ahh - she's just so happy BUT the hippos are just kind of laying around and she can't even see Fiona's face.


A bit of  disappointment, but we vow to return before leaving today.


Right now - she settles for this.


No leaving her alone right now - 



Back past the meerkats


And over to the other side of Africa - not so gentle giants laying in the sun.


Neither of the girls have fed giraffes before - so . . . 


Its a mind meld.


Love that black tongue.



We have a lazy tongue giraffe at the Dallas Zoo too. (Stephannie's pic that I borrowed - well, I guess stole since I'm not likely removing it from here.)


All together now - 


We've had lunch and are ready to roll again.  Let's see some critters that I can't see at home.  The train arrives just as we are heading off.  Everything is just so colorful right now.


Manatees!!!!


They had recently been fed and all the lettuce was either attached at the base of the tank or floating above.


I could watch this all day -- she just buries her head in the food.



Ahhhh, my heart - the only thing better than these are sea turtles.


Stephannie wants to check out the penguins --- absolutely.  When we arrive none are in the water.  I set to getting them to jump in and have results in a few minutes.




Another Stephannie pic.  GREAT shot.


Okay - one last trip to the hippos and we SCORE!  A little background on Sherri's love - Miss Fiona.  On January 24, 2017, the Cincinnati Zoo's baby hippo, Fiona, was born six weeks before her due date.  She weighed only 29 pounds.  The normal birth weight range for a Nile hippo is 55-120 pounds.  She was too small and weak to stand and nurse from her mother, Bibi, so caregivers and vet staff stepped in to provide comfort, nutrition, and critical care.  Fiona is the smallest hippo every to survive.  Her story of perseverance has served as inspiration for many.  AND - here she is.  Another fab picture from Stephannie.  (At least I think this is her - it may be baby brother Fritz.)


Dad


Fritz 


Mom and Fritz with Fiona being a ballerina overhead.




Okay - Ms. Sherri sat herself down by the window and didn't move for about an hour.  Honest.  She was just so happy and I'm so thankful we didn't give up today.  I honestly think my pics of her taking pics are amazing - maybe hers are good too, but . . . 






This one just makes my heart happy.


Love how the fish help out --- cleaning their backs.



Well, that's it for us.  We need to point these cars towards Louisville (yep, we're in two cars since Irene had to leave her behind) as that is our base for tonight.  (Through the fence - about all we saw of Cincinnati other than the zoo, lol.)  See ya in Louisville.

No comments:

Post a Comment