Friday, July 26, 2024

Missouri Star Retreat and Girls Trip - Day 6 Kansas City to Tulsa

 The last few days have been amazing, as always, and the best part is getting to spend them with my daughter.  I so look forward to this time together each year and cannot wait for our next adventure together.  We are saying good-bye to Missouri, once again, and pointing our vehicle south.  I wonder what we can find to peek at.



First stop is in Liberty, Missouri.  

We have been to Quilting is My Therapy before and it's always a fun stop.  This is the shop with Angela Walters fabric and kits and I find a quilting practice sample that I love.  Turns out you can buy the panel and make 2 pillows with it so I purchase one and share it with Jen.  This will be fun and good practice.

The gangs all here!  So fun to travel together.  My heart is just so full to have friends like these.


I had read about the temple in Independence, MO, and wanted to stop and see it.  The information was that it was open to the public daily.  Well that was incorrect and we were not able to go in on a Friday, but it looks pretty cool.


Well, dang it anyway.  Back on the road and into Kansas City we go.  I have a really long list of things to see here and not near enough time.  One major item will be saved for the next trip.  Subtropolis will happen - just not this time.  I "think" we need more time in KC and since it is always at the end of the trip, people are ready to go home.  Next time, we'll think it through better.  We DO have time for a few stops though.  The Library is on my list and this one does happen.  The books are kind of hard to see through the trees, but they are very cool.



Even the stairs are cool.



I'm not sure that anyone else is as fascinated as me.  Oh well, I'm loving it.


I love the variety of books that are featured.


Inside is beautiful!



This is a great idea - I really should get one out at home and spend time with my sweetie.



As we were about to leave, this began:


Inside the library, I asked a local of a good place to eat nearby and was given a great idea.  It's within walking distance and we are off, passing this building along the way.


Mildred's Cafe and my great plan to get a picture through the window.  HAHAHAHA


Inside I go - the place is packed but we managed to grab seats by the window.


Spotted while driving through KC - Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts - 


The Crown Center Link - Between Union Station and Crown Center


These Headless Statues caused me to look them up online.  The are Standing Figures (30 Figures) and this bronze work by Polish artist Magdalena Abakanowicz was created over a four year span from 1994 to 1998. The artist witnessed the violence of the Nazi invasion of her home country as a girl, leading some to believe that the thirty headless figures may be victims. The piece is certainly haunting by most interpretations, but others notice the unique qualities of each figure and feel that the piece speaks to human individuality. After its dedication, the artist expressed her hope that viewers would consider multiple interpretations and possibilities. Each of the thirty bronze figures began with a cast from a burlap-lined body mold.


Cool Tower - could not figure out what or who it is for.


World's Largest Shuttlecock


Dragons loving (?) KC - 


Cool fountain - Kansas City is known as the City of Fountains.  There are more than 200 registered fountains here.


Stopping for a walkabout allowed us to check out a few of them up close and personal.


While walking, my eyes are always moving.  Again, I had to look this building up.  Upon its 1937 completion, a Jack Henry’s advertisement excitedly dubbed the Plaza Medical Building “Kansas City’s most beautiful structure!” Located at 315 Nichols Road, the building’s main entrance is flanked by colorful tiled murals. Its second story is adorned with a tower and tiling around the windows.

As the 1937 Star advertisement detailed, the building contains “brilliantly colored tile from old Mexico … interesting plaques … antique iron balconies from Spain … soft tone, hand-made tiles in variegated colors.”


Of course we went in.  Of course we didn't buy anything.


Giralda Tower - fascinating story behind this one.  I urge you to look it up as it is too long to put here.


Cool doorway - Kansas City also has a grand collection of interesting doors - next trip perhaps.


The flavor of the architecture here is incredible.


This sculpture on the meridian in the plaza catches my eye.  It is called Out to Lunch.


I LOVE the detail.


Perhaps I can even catch a word or two although it has been here for since 1977 and has weathered a bit.  Picture is blurry or you might be able to also.
 

I can't remember who - but someone wants a cupcake.  Gwen??  It shall be done.


I have to tell ya - I giggled when I turned around and saw this.  Are we tired of each other?


Well, it's time to get on the road again.  Next stop is in Garnett,  Yes, we are taking a different route home - see something new.  


I go to use the restroom and find this soooo funny.  I take the picture, use the facilities, and then leave.  Minutes later I cannot find my phone and return to the restroom, where it isn't.  Sherri has found it and told me to go back in and look at the back of the door.  Little Stinker.



It's after four now and we are ready to find a stop for the night.  A call to Mister and we are set in Tulsa.  Let's drive.  What ARE you carrying cos it looks like . . . .


By the time we reach Tulsa, the sun has set and we are beat.  It's been a great day and I am already looking ahead to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment