Monday, April 17, 2023

Ohio Quilt Sisters Trip --- Days 5 and 6

Well, today is a bit dreary so we are staying put in the hotel.  One would think sleeping in would be a good idea, but apparently my body doesn't agree.  When I get to the work room --- it's empty.   This is a pretty good picture, though.  Take a minute to check out our surroundings.  There is fun art on the walls and a full bar at the back.  Have you been to a retreat like this?

Since it's quiet - a peek at all the tables.  So many different brands and eras of machines are represented in just this small group.











A trip down to the restaurant shows me that I'm not the first one up.  Part of this retreat is a full breakfast each day.  They are waiting.  I'll be back.


After breakfast, everyone actually gets to work sewing today.  That's what rain will do to you.  Sherri has a block TA-DA


Stephannie with some cross-stitch TA-DA's


We decide to risk the weather and walk down to Bags Pub for lunch.  It is right next to Millersburg Brewing Co.


We have a bit of a wait, so I wander outside for a brief minute.  Spotting a historical marker, I'm off.  Drat - wish the building was still there.


Across the street, the courthouse stands with very questionable clouds above it.


And a look down the street gives you an idea of the town we are in.


Inside, we have a table and are ready for some food.  Bring it on.  Some homemade sangrias also go back to the center with us.  Yum.


Yes, I'm sewing too --- my last Sewcialite block is done.


Ramona has webbed a giant sunflower quilt she created from a photo.


One of my Sunny Patches blocks is done.


Sherri has another block TA-DA


That's all I have for today although it doesn't seem like much.  We opt to walk down to Fox's Pizza Den for dinner and that's a memory I will cherish for a very long time.  Ramona high stepping in flip flops down the hill after the rain.  Choice.


After dinner, Sherri literally ran back to the hotel to get a car and take most people back.  This picture happened as she was heading out the door.


Some evening TA-DA's were happened.  Frieda has a book.


Ramona's Sunflower TA-DA


Stephannie with an apron TA-DA


That just about ends this day so I'll share a few of the quilts that are on the walls around the hotel and center.  Not great pics, but they are halls so hard to get much better.


17th - It's Day 6 of our crazy, amazing, trip.  I am loving all of it.  Today we are out and about once again.  With each drive, the countryside seems more beautiful than the day before.  Here, we stopped because it seemed as though buggy driving lessons were happening.




Our first stop today is Miller's Dry Goods in Charm.  Look at this delightful covered bridge right behind the shop.


Here we are - 


The first store is super fun with lots of great ideas.  I spotted these iron pin cushions and really had to stop myself.  I HAVE A LIST,


Into the back of this store I go and my list goes out the window.  Oh my.  Everything is just so soft and gentle.  


I find this quilt and the kits attaches to me.  I pass on the gnome.


But this lamb.  OMG.  It comes home.  I justify it by seeing that the kit is $13.00 and the pattern (not in the kit) is $13.00.  The finished lamb is $29.95.  Sold.  I also find a minky book for a grandchild.  Get me out of here.


Into the second store - I start out taking pictures.



The I go to find some fabric that Ramona needs and walk past the wall hanging in the picture above.  It's on the right with lattice around it.  The PANEL (on my list) is divine and I want it for my Kaleidoscope quilt but the wall hanging would go great as an added item.  Done.  Problem.  They don't have the panels separately or enough border fabric.  Well, I can fix that and find both online and order what I need.  This pic is taken after I got home and all the stuff is together.  Yay!  Check that off the list.


Leaving Miller's Dry Goods, we make a wrong turn and wind up in some beautiful country on a buggy road.  No kidding.


Fortunately, my GPS is working and we can weave our way back on route and get back to Berlin and the Plaid Sheep Co.  I didn't get a picture of the outside of the store.  What is wrong with me?  In we go and this is the first display to greet us.


What a fun store!!  Honest.  We found vests that we loved and bought the pattern and fabric as well as wool projects galore.  Again, not on my list, but I'm happy.


That's the end of our morning jaunt and it's back to the center.  Ramona has a bit of a problem when we arrive.  She's missing a square of fabric.  She does, however, have an extra HST.  IMPROVISE, we say.  And she does.  TA-DA


A few of us head back to Bags for lunch.  Irene got the wings last time and they just looked so good that we have to try.  Wow -- I did the salt and vinegar ones and they are to die for.  


As soon as we return to the center, I discover that Irene took herself to the hospital with severe stomach pains.  It's supposed to be pretty close so I take off walking.  A wonderful young man tells me I'm two minutes away.  Two miles later, I get to the hospital.  Grrrr.  At any rate, along the way I pass the Victoria House and we want to visit here.


Beautiful phlox.  I get to the hospital and find Irene.  It's many hours later that they release her and we make the decision for her hubby to drive up and get her.  The girls back at the room have packed all her things and she's off to bed the minute we get back.  Surgery could be in her future and we're sad not only for that, but for losing time with her this week.  Sucks.  


Meanwhile, back at the house, Stephannie has a TA-DA


Well, that's the end of my day.  I'm beat and heading to bed.  Hospitals are never fun and they are exhausting - even when you're not the one with the issue.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment