Saturday, April 15, 2023

Ohio Quilt Sisters Trip --- Days 3 and 4

Good Morning from Louisville, Kentucky.  We have stayed in the cutest little house and would love to just hang out for a bit, but friends are waiting.  We are meeting up with the Arkansas girls and Irene at Cotton to Quilts right at 10 and I'm starving.  Tiaras on, ladies. 

Although it is truly within walking distance, we load everything up in the cars and head down to Frankfort.  We've found a delightful breakfast place that is mere minutes of walking to Irene's shop, Cotton to Quilts.  My breakfast is sooo yummy and somehow it all disappeared.  I think the others took some when I wasn't looking.


It's always a joy to travel with buds.


Smile Y'all.  Okay, it's a better angle, but . . .  Add in that Gwen's ADD kicked in.


We decide to just walk the distance to the quilt shop after breakfast.  It makes sense as we've been in cars for days and could all use a bit of exercise (of course, we DID do a 2 mile walk yesterday, but who's counting?).



Along our walk --- oh this tree stopped us all to look and swoon.


Also - this house is just so dang cute.  May I have it please?


As I said, traveling with buds.


We've arrived at the shop and the Arkansas girls are there so hugs all around with them and Irene.  We are a complete group now.  Here is the Cotton to Quilts LINK to see all that the shop has to offer.




It does take a bit of time, but our purchases are made and it's time to continue on.  Next city is Cincinnati, but no stopping planned.  There it is!  At this point, we are READY to get the Ohio sign.  Cameras are all prepared and we watch


and watch.  Oh wait --- there it is --- over on the other road.  ARGH.




Some of us decide to stop for lunch and gas in Wilmington, OH.  We've chosen a place called the 73 Grill.  The Shell station is right next door and we stop for gas.  As I'm sitting in the car, Samantha posts, "73 grill . . . and my dash."  I look at her picture and go, "hmmmn."  That is MY view too.  Where is she?  


Well, my powers of observation are not very good as she is the car right in front of us at the station. Stephannie and I crack up, pointing.  Sherri is pumping gas and thinks that car must have backed in in front of us and doesn't know it's her either.  She was there first.  Wow!  We are a hot mess in a car.


Lunch happens and a pic to prove we were here.  Even Chuck the Duck makes the picture.


Back on the road and Columbus is next.  What a nightmare!  The whole caravan breathes a sigh of relief once we get to 62 and more rural roads.  


Taking in the views along the way --- this one has a quilted roof.


Beautiful Tulip Tree


And lots of long country roads.


With buggies!!!


My attempt to get the buggy as we went by --- LOL --- well, it's better this way.  No invasion of privacy happening here.



Oooooh.  Yes!!


Our lodging for the next 6 nights.  The Hotel Millersburg and the attached 1847 Retreat.  We go around to the back to unload and our hostess, Jamie, is already in the Arkansas girls vehicle, unloading.  Now, THAT's service.


My first glance as I go towards the check-in desk.  Simply lovely.



I get us all checked in and keys dispersed so we can access our rooms.  Nice.


Once everyone is in and settled, dinner is up.  We are off to the Millersburg brewery and it's just right down the street.  We're going walking.  The courthouse is in beautiful light tonight, so I grab a pic or two.  The Holmes County Courthouse was built in the late 19th century.



Leave it to Samantha to find the best seat in the house. As we are sitting at our table, this little one comes up to say that she loves the tiara.  She leaves with it and is sooooo happy.  This group aims to please.


The gangs all together again -- well, almost.  Frieda and Terry stayed back at the hotel.


So fun to spend time with Irene --- too far between events.


15th - Well, another beautiful day in Ohio.  We just haven't driven enough the past few days, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so today is a great day to do some quilt shop hopping and fabric procuring.  I've spent some time with maps.  Do you see where we are?


Google has helped me with the first route.

And away we go --- we have three cars trekking about.  First stop is Helping Hands in Berlin.  They have some beautiful, already-made quilts for sale and after drooling on them for a bit, I do find a few things on my list.  Yes, I came with a list.


With purchases in hand - we move on.


Next is Zincks and I manage to miss a picture of the outside, however, I did meet a fantastic employee who gifted me with a list of local shops AND also told me of one not on the list.  That was crazy helpful  No purchases for me, but others did.  I do have panels on my list, but didn't see just the right one.



The third shop is Chestnut Ridge in Walnut Creek.  My directions to the girls were not the best and we've been taking these first three in strange order, but at this point, we all meet up.


Another item on my list and I'm smiling.


Onto Sugar Creek.  I have read a bit about something to see, so I'm off for a second before joining the others in the quilt shop.  The Alpine Alpa restaurant in Wilmot, Ohio commissioned clockmaker Karl Schleutermann to build the world's largest cuckoo clock in 1963.  Twelve years and $50,000 later, the enormous outdoor clock was finished.  It was featured on the cover of the Guinness Book of World Records in 1978.  After exposure to Ohio's weather for 30 years, Hampton Hotels' "Save-A-Landmark" program helped to restore the cuckoo clock to operating condition in 2007.  The restaurant closed two years later, and the owner of the local store Walnut Creek Cheese purchased the clock and donated it to the Village of Sugarcreek.  The clock was moved to its new home in May 2012.  Village leaders and community members returned the clock to working condition and placed it on display for all to enjoy.

Its the off-season right now, so it's  not running and the water wheel isn't moving water, but still cool.



Now, back to quilts.  We are at Carlisle Fabric & Quilts.


This quilt is hanging on the wall at the back --- it just GLOWS.  Even in person.  Beautiful.


Back on the road again -- we are heading to Baltic.



East Main is our destination for lunch and it came as a referral.  On the way to it, I checked my list of places to eat that I wrote in Dallas and this one is on it.  I feel vindicated, lol.  Not that I was questioned before.  Crazy girl, I am.  Speaking Yoda now.


The meal is great, but the bakery is a HUGE hit.  I have no idea how many went back with us.


But, some didn't make it to the car.


Beautiful Countryside to look at as we travel.  Our last stop is in Coshocton.  When we arrive, I take a few minutes to enjoy the aroma of the trees around us and notice all the petals on the ground.  It's not going to be long before they are gone for another year.  Scattered amongst the tulips makes it even more appealing.




Isn't this just beautiful?


Mercantile on Main is the last stop for today.


Just this --- hahahaha


I find more items on my list and am thrilled.


About this time, a downpour begins.  


Time to get wet, Y'all.


On the return trip, Samantha sends a message of zebras on the right.  By golly, there they are.  Ya just never know what you're gonna see when you look up.



Back in Millersburg and done for the day.  I don't even think we went to dinner as lunch was late and we were still doing okay. 


Apparently, after I went to bed - some shenanigans took place.  All in good fun - no liquor was actually touched.  We brought our own.



See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment