Friday, July 26, 2019

Huntsville Takedown

MONTHS ago, several of us were given discount cards to the East Texas Thimble Trail - Texas Strong event.  Right then and there, we posted the event on our group page and decided it was the perfect time of year to come from far and near in Texas and get together for a day.  Today is the day and there are 10 of us meeting up.  I am so ready for some girl time.

In fact, I'm so ready that my alarm doesn't even get the chance to  alert me at 4:45 this morning.  Quietly, I make my way through the house and attempt to let my sweetheart and grandson sleep.  Lydia, Rocky, and Stephannie are arriving around 5:30 and we make up the northern contingent.  Somehow, in my worry that others are making too much noise, I managed to set off the teapot and slam the screen door all at the same time.  Good morning Mister.  I'm so sorry.  Go back to bed.  And with that (plus mugs of coffee) we are outta here.

Yep, it's dark still.  However, we are full of love and laughter right away and soon the sun comes up amid all of our lively conversation.  It's just so great to get caught up once again.  First stop, not only to purchase some sustenance, but also for those human moments, is Buc-ee's.  If you haven't been to one before, well you just don't understand.  However, if you are a veteran - you'll know how wonderful it truly is --- even if all you need is a human moment.



Some of us do take longer than others finding our goodies, though.  By the time we venture out with food and drink --- Lydia has found comfort.




Hello Paula!!!  One meet up complete!!!


With the Eastern group moments later!  Gwen, Ana, and Sherri are in the house.  All right --- that's all we have until Huntsville.  It's time to get back on the road again.


Real quick though --- a couple of pics to let others know we are on the way.  My heart is already just oh so happy.  I need this day so much right now.


As I was calendaring Gammy camps this year, I kept running into having a younger grandson with me for this day.  So, naturally, I just figured I'd take him along and we'd do the touristy thing.  With a little research, I came up with an itinerary and some things to check out.  Then plans changed and an older grandson came to stay, so Grandpa has him and my friends are now subjected to my ADVENTURE day.  First up ---- The Sam Houston statue south of Huntsville.  Oh -- getting here was part of the adventure all by itself, I promise.  However, Val and Sharron are here and the gang is now complete.  (Why, oh why, didn't I get a picture of them?)  Smile Y'all.


And a cropped version -


Some info for you:  Sam is 67 feet tall (on a 10-foot-tall base) and the statue is named "A Tribute to Courage."  The artist, David Adickes, was born and schooled in Huntsville and started sculpting Sam Houston (1793-1863) early in 1992.  The 25-ton figure is comprised of 10-foot sections, each containing five layers of concrete reinforced with steel straps.  The outside layer also has a fiberglass mesh.  It was dedicated on October 22, 1994 and will be celebrating 25 years this fall.  He gets a new coat of paint every 2-5 years depending on weather and with the celebration coming up, will receive one at the end of summer this year.

Rocky -- checking out the grounds a bit and hanging with a 3D version of the face.


While others watch.


In the visitor center --- I came really close to getting one of these, but Mister would so not approve.  Stickers of any kind are just not his thing.


Catching up --- so fun.


Or playing --- whatever floats your boat.


The clock is ticking on and the shop hop is about to open.  Into the vehicles we go and with Stephannie in charge of directions, we are off on our own little adventure --- locating the fairgrounds has us laughing and questioning just where we are going, but we do manage to arrive.  Some of us, however, feel the need to be treated like royalty.  Silly girls.


Let the shop hop begin



After finding the "Outback" fabric needed for November's retreat, I'm pretty much done.  I didn't really come to shop, more to spend time with friends and this didn't turn out to be quite what I had envisioned.  Live and learn.  More time to chat.


And a blurry gathering --- (rare that I left my glasses one --- maybe that's why it's blurry)


Lunchtime!!  My tummy is growling and it's not alone.  With MY GPS set this time, we are off to find the restaurant, but as we are driving - Stephannie spots these and we must stop.  Urch.  Out for pics, of course.  If you want to learn more about these and see the insides, here are your links:  boot link  http://www.phoenixcommotion.com/portfolio-item/the-boot-house/  hat link    http://www.phoenixcommotion.com/portfolio-item/the-hat-house/


Now for the City Hall Cafe



I gotta admit --- I've been served a drink in a pint canning jar before, but never a quart one.  Wow.


Eveline and Mac (nickname) have joined us for lunch and we are complete.  As I'm trying to take this picture, I bump my head on a rusty bucket hanging from the ceiling.  Perfect.  Not the best pic, but it will do.  Lunch is leisurely.  That's my way of saying -- goodness -- it was two hours long.  The food was good, not awesome great, but good and our server was a cutie so it made up for it -- kinda.  Paula decides to travel back north with Eveline and her sweetie so hugs all around.


With such a long lunch, we opt to skip the murals/cabin downtown for another trip and move onto the Sam Houston Memorial Museum.  More fun GPS moments and tears running down our cheeks from the laughter, but we arrive.


Now, I gotta tell ya --- I really no nothing about Sam Houston.  I'm looking forward to this and hoping to share little bits of what I discover.  Let's go.

As we enter, the first thing I spot is a plaque that reads:  "General Sam Houston - Statesman - Warrior.  Born in Rockbridge County, Virginia March 2nd, 1793.  Son of Major Sam and Elizabeth Paxton Houston and Descendant of Sir Hugh of Padivan the Founder of Hughstown Castle of Scotland.  Congressman from Tennessee, Governor of Tennessee.  Arrived in Texas December 1832.  Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence March 2, 1826 (his birthday - I added this, not on the plaque).  Commander-in-chief of the Texas Revolutionary Army.  Victor at the Battle of San Jacinto April 21st, 1836.  Twice President of the Republic of Texas.  Congressman of the Republic of Texas.  United States Senator from Texas.  Governor of Texas.  Died in Huntsville, Texas July 26th, 1863."

Well, I already know a ton more than I did. The family crest.


As we are walking around the museum, Sherri and Stephannie spot this.  As quilters, the first thing we all wonder is, "Why was it written on-pointe."  The question is just begging to be answered.


I took close-ups of the typed versions if you wish to read the document.


Love, love, love interesting tidbits.


And fans.  I adore fans.


Sam Houston in recognized in all sorts of ways:


Yep, that's him and yes, that's legal tender.


Once we finish inside the museum (and have oh so many questions about the different wives), it's time for a walk around the grounds.  Ducks have been spotted.

Onto the buildings.  We are just beginning our tour of the many buildings when Val and Sharron decide to head back to Houston --- time for good-byes.


Ahhhh, at least i did take these pictures.



Okay - back to the task at hand.  Peeking into each building as we walk along provides me with snapshots of life.  I spy a quilt back there.


Blacksmith shop


As we approach the Steamboat House - the doors are opened and we are able to go inside and tour.  Come along and enjoy.  But wait --- DUCKS!!!!


Okay - back to the house - This is the room where Sam died.



This is the room where Sam Houston's funeral was held.

It is up a steep set of stairs and still bears the somber notes of that day.

The rest of the house:


Lovely quilt






Next we walk over to the Woodland Home, which is still on it's original location.  I am inclined to think that this tree has been here a LONG times as well.


The Woodland Home is the one Sam had built for his family and they resided here from 1847-1859.





So much quilting pleasure in this picture.



The whole thing -- what was commonly referred to as a "dogtrot" house.


Gardens and a view of the creek further on.


Sam's Law Office.  It's just a small cabin nearby.



Did you see a kitchen in the house?  Of course not -- they were always in a separate building due to fire concerns.  Just looking at this room, I can see why.



And that's it.  From here, our journey retraces itself and back to Buc-ee's where we give hugs all around until next month.  What a wonderful day.  Dallas is in the GPS and the four of us are on our way home.  Thank you so very much to all who came and shared in my day.  I love ya more than I can say.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Life is to be lived and shared.

      Delete
  2. I was there too! Would have been great if we had met up! I enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat! That would have been so fun. Perhaps the next event? We have a group going to the Kimball Thursday and another group going to the Plano Quilt Show on Saturday. Do either of those work for you?

      Delete