Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Good Fortune - Clue 1 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt


Hello again!  It's Black Friday and I can't believe that the yearly fun has arrived.  I am in a crazy strange place today and even though I can't work on the clue, the Texas Renaissance fair is a nice second.  Everyone needs to play dress up now and then, right?

Upon returning from the fair, it's a long drive back to Dallas and I'm just too tired to even think about the mystery.  However, we did make a stop along the way that solidified my desire to make two quilts - one in Bonnie's colorway and one in a different one.  More work -- what am I thinking?  If you want to find out all about this mystery, here is the link to Bonnie Hunter's blog:  Good Fortune Mystery



At any rate, that means it is now Sunday and my sweetheart's day with me.  After coffee in the morning, I do manage to run out to the studio to see if I have strips in the right colors already in the scrap users system.  SCORE!  Woohoo.  So much work saved.  Will there be enough is the question now.  Oh well, I'll just sew them all up and see where it takes me.


It's now Tuesday morning and I have a chance to focus on this.  First up --- let's sew some strips.  I split the reds in half and each stack receives either a cream or white mate until all are sewn.  That's a heck of a lot of strips.  I sure hope I didn't get carried away.  Before bed, one set of subcuts are made.  Wow.  Making two is suddenly a question in my mind.

However, Wednesday has arrived and my brain seems to have forgotten last night.  I head to the cutting table first thing and - bam -- here is the second set.


So, I know you're all curious if I sewed too many.  Well, guess what?  I don't think I could have planned it any better than this.  I have two strip sets remaining.  Crazy lucky.

My sweetheart has an errand to run today and I have the house all to myself.  With an immense amount of discipline, I settle in to sew these little units together.

For those of you not following the mystery itself, but reading the blog, I bet  you are curious how many there are.  Well, you'll have to get the exact number from Bonnie, but I will say this -- constant sewing for an entire movie is what it takes to get them all sewn together.  That's SOLID sewing, by the way.  I didn't get up for a drink, to stretch, or even to use the restroom.  I was focused.

So, now there is a crazy stack of sewn units on the floor under my machine and I feel the need to play.  Red and white are my Christmas colors each year, so perhaps I'll start in the kitchen this time.  It needs a little brightening and since the cat is away, the mouse can play a bit.


I still have a wee bit of my movie left, so I find the Gizmo and settle in at the glass table to gradually pull these down and stack them for ironing.

After dinner, two t.v. trays, my new little iron, and a comfy chair to watch Jeopardy are set up.  Open, spin, press becomes the mantra as I work my way through both stacks.

Success is had and I am able to say that  clue 1 is complete.  I even have a whole day to prepare for the next one.  Now to find some more cold medicine and rest until then.


If you got here via Bonnie's blog -- here is your LINK right back to the link-up.  Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you with clue 2.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Each year I try and play with at least one chain of the units. Red and white make me happy during the holidays so this week fit the bill.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are really ambitious! Your 4 patches look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much -- I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I have only made two of the mystery once before and that happened because I went for the king size and realized I was crazy -- made two full ones instead.

      Delete
  3. These look great and I love your creative decorating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Gotta lower the stress now and then, right?

      Delete