Sunday, August 22, 2021

Winnsboro and Friends

 We've been holed up at home a LOT lately and really are looking forward to drive out to Winnsboro and time with Gwen and Larry.  Lunch is planned and miles are ticking off on the road.  We've called and given them an arrival time --- now, let the fun begin.

Our arrival is greeted with hugs all around and laughter fills the air.  I've forgotten my glasses in the car and as I return to the house, THIS just makes my heart happy.  There are days when I miss Montana tremendously and others, like today, when I adore Texas and all that that entails.


Gwen takes me into her sewing room and I'm so excited for her.  She has been working hard and so much work has gone into the fun.  She has new cabinets and her cutting table has been moved in, along with other things.  I jokingly tell her that I love her LOVE for cutting implements and while the words are coming out of my mouth -- I notice a chainsaw sitting right next to her Accuquilt.  See . . . she LOVES cutting implements.

Spotting this little cabinet, I have a been of the green envy.  Oh, not for the fabric, which I think is beautiful, but for the cabinet itself.  How cute is this?


Gwen grabs a bag from another room and while we go to see what is in it, a pass through the living room shows that Mister's talent with cats is still in force.  Apparently, this cat really doesn't like to be around anyone.  Gwen and Larry are both shocked.


Now, the story of the mini-quilt show that takes place next.  A friend of Gwen's, Karen Keeler, is moving into an RV and downsizing like crazy.  As a result, Gwen has all these amazing minis and I can't wait to share a few of them with you.  Karen did a lot of art quilts and took embellishing to a place I'd never dreamt of.  I really want to give it a try and a mini is the perfect way.  Maybe we need a challenge in the group or an exchange of some sort.  I'll think on that for awhile.

At any rate --- enjoy the eye candy and open the pics larger so that you can see the details up close and personal - from the thread work to the use of different fabrics for applique to the embellishments.  It's all just wonderful.

Footprints in the Sand - 


This thread spool and pin cushion are darling the the spool border was part of Bonnie Hunter's yearly leader/ender challenge.  


So, so fun.


Texas bluebonnets always make my heart happy, but this border is just too cool and that's saying a lot coming from me because I don't usually like wonky.  THIS, I love.


Another one with a wonky border set -- doubles ones -- only a tulip.  I'll be honest here, I NEVER thought of using buttons with the threads showing.  That is just dang fun.


OH -- this one had a label I loved.  What a cool idea.


Robin's Next ---- The thread work brings this one alive.  Notice the raffia and heavier threads that are used.  So fun.


Well, that is just a sample of what she has, but I love them so much.  She needs to find a "show wall" in the house and get them hung like her own little quilt show.  

At this point, it's time to make lunch and so Gwen and I set off for the kitchen and a bit later -- this is the result.  It is Salmon Limone with Couscous, Italian Herbs and Zucchini Ribbons.  A lovely glass of white wine tops it off and all I can say is that my plate was clean at the end.  Oh so good and my first experience with Israeli Couscous. 


Getting her to just sit and enjoy is a challenge.  She getting dessert ready.


OMG --- a bit of this and a bit of that.  All so good.


We have had so much fun, but it's a two hour drive back home and Mister has to work tomorrow so doesn't want to be out too late.  I have loved the entire time here --- Thank you, Gwen and Larry, for being the consummate hosts.  Love ya, girlfriend.

2 comments: