Sunday, February 10, 2019

Brazos House - Live, Laugh, Love Retreat

Round two begins today and we are starting it out right.  Babes!!!  Seriously, what could be better than this?  I adore their chicken and get my fill whenever at retreat.  This time I split an order and manage to put away both pieces so nothing is going back to the house with me.  So, so good.

Originally we were sat at this HUGE table and it was hard to visit with each other.  A nice request and now we are in the lighted gazebo.  Perfect.

From Babes, it's a road trip to Joshua.  Yep, and even then, out to the sticks of Joshua.  Batiks Galore is going out of business (yes, that makes us sad) and is now at 60% off (yes, that makes us happy).  As we drive to it, I can totally understand why it is going out of business.  My goodness, this is not easy to get to.  I can't help but wonder if I lived in the area whether I would have driven out here.  Perhaps that is why they are departing from the retail arena.

The place is still pretty dang stocked with bolts of beautiful fabric and I manage to find several neutrals, blacks, and tone on tones to take home with me.




A roll of soft fuse catches my eye as well and then is taken from me to become a baton followed by a light saber - too bad I didn't buy two of them along with light sticks.  That could be entertaining back at retreat.


As each of us finishes our purchase, we gather in the back to wait.  It's dang cold in here, thus all the folded arms.  Once everyone has completed their purchases, the loop back to the center commences.







Val has a TA-DA upon our arrival back -


Paula has also finished both of her rugs - TA-DA


As I'm looking out the window, I spot a HUGE black cat.  Of course, that means that Sherri has to go investigate.  Crazy woman.

Last weekend, Eveline gave out these cards regarding a quilt show and shop hop in Huntsville this summer.  (Yes, I still have some for those who were there the first weekend).  A little bit of time on the computer and a few phone calls later, we have a new event in place.  Are you joining us?

At this point, I am just wandering around to see what each person is working on.  The room is buzzing as everyone shares their days adventures and purchases.  I love these moments so very much -- to me this is what retreat is all about -- laughter and conversation.


At least one dining picture needs to take place --- here is the obligatory.


Following dinner, Rocky shares some homemade bourbon cream topped off with root beer.  DANG, this is just so good.  Cheers, Y'all.

Darlene shares her owl TA-DA from last week once again and I'm glad because it is definitely worth a second viewing.

Ana also has a TA-DA showing with her Insanity Quilt.  Front -


and back - (which if I understood correctly - is now the front.  I'm just not sure.)


Frieda has another TA-DA


As does Betsy


Rocky made a bed cover for her "new to her" Featherweight.  TA-DA


Susan follows that with a TA-DA of her own


During all of this wonderful creativeness, I have managed to complete another rag quilt top and sew the binding on.  Now to hand stitch it down and start clipping away.


And with that, I am done in.  It's late and once LMS is taken, the inside of my eyes is all I see.

Friday brings us day two of the retreat and another round of jelly roll rugs.  However, I'm knee deep in bookwork and trying to get Carolina Christmas #2 started so it gets delayed a wee bit.

In the meantime, Sherri finishes her QAYG, complete with a little something extra on the back.  TA-DA


Now --- let's get that rug going.  It appears that only Sherri and I are making them this time so we try and stay in sync to start out.  That means that fun will likely ensue.


Hula skirts make all kinds of sense.  Right?  I debated this next picture because "what happens at retreat stays at retreat" but it's just too dang funny.  Hence, the sheer joy on my face.


We are stylin'.


Sherri's tower of batting leads one to think that perhaps she is going into the rug making business.  Time will tell.

Now to cut these loops apart, trim, and press the seams.  It just takes time.

In the meantime, activity continues all around us and Maria has another TA-DA to share.  How does she do it?  I'm only one rag quilt, one QAYG, one apron, and one rug into this and we are on day 9.  She's completed somewhere near a dozen tops, I think.

Here's her gorgeous blue one.


Steady work continues and I have a second rug completed.


Initially, I thought I had two of the same jelly rolls.  They ARE the same fabric line, but not the same in either fabrics or order.  Thus, my rugs compliment each other, but are not identical.


I no sooner plop the new one down on the floor and Samantha has a TA-DA


Followed by Sherri with her rug too - TA-DA


Rocky and Gwen have a joint TA-DA and Gwen's Featherweight Bag is complete.  Yes, I know it is officially called a Boxy Tote.


Scenes from the room -



Susan has another TA-DA


Followed by Val - TA-DA


I just barely get a start on my Carolina Christmas clue before it is time to prepare for game night.  That means it is time to get dressed and I'm off and running.

As I am in the kitchen finished preparations, here comes Darlene.  Oooooh, she wins.  What a fantastic Live, Laugh, Love costume.  I bow down to you, my friend.  Paula and Val did a bit of dressing too.

Me?  I'm all in red, of course.  What else would a Red Hat Lady do?


Susan has provided  door prize for this evening and I put Sherri in charge of the drawing.

She's put all the names in a tote and has Susan pull the paper.  What are the crazy odds that she will pull Sherri's name?  Apparently very high as that is precisely what happens and lots of wonderful gifts come from the depths of a bright green bag.  I want to steal the seam ripper.  Sad, isn't it?


For the ladies who have made the jelly roll rugs at retreat, I have special charms.  Yep, it's time to get back into these moments.  Congrats to all and thank you, Maria, for the extra "Power to the V" moment.


Betsy has achieved a Ruby rank --- woohoo!!!


Meanwhile, the crazies have stolen my phone for evil.


We also have a couple of new Sapphires.  First up is Darlene --


 and then Lori


AND Val achieved the highest rank outside of an original diamond.  She is now a Silver Diamond and wears her tiara beautifully.  Congrats, my dear friend.


Let's roll those dice in speed rounds again tonight.  Go, go, go.  Our first winner (in 6 minutes time) is Darlene and she has a plethora of beautiful red fat quarters to play with now.


Val, while running around helping with the game, takes home some bright batiks.


Watch our fun - monkeys everywhere.







And the final winner of the night is Kelly, with a Moda Frivols.


Jennifer Smiley has completed both clues of Carolina Christmas and left me in the dirt.  Her's a simply lovely - TA-DA


Another night is done.  I cannot even one more minute as the wall has been hit.  Off to bed with Maria in charge --- here's the LMS picture. 


Saturday arrives and I'm so happy to have one more day to play.  I really need to turn my focus to my own Carolina Christmas and that is the aim.  As I'm pressing strips, Lori comes along and says, "I have something picture worthy for you.  I'm about to eat an apple."  Hold the presses everyone, I need to find my ever elusive phone once again.  Why is it never where I think?

Maria with a TA-DA


All of the rugs together -


It's raining outside and the library is a disaster.  We need a group picture so I clear my area and, voila, the perfect spot.  So much happiness in seeing these wonderful faces and true thanks for sharing this time with me.  Left to right down the stairs:  Lori, Frieda, Maria, Kelly, Sherri, Samantha, Darlene, Gwen, Brenda, and Susan.  Back row:  Val, yours truly, Jennifer, Paula, and Betsy.  Front row:  Rocky, Ana.


Sherri with rug #2 TA-DA


Apparently I complained a bit too loudly about losing my phone all the time.  Several have been in cahoots behind my back and have created a pouch to hang around my neck.  Gotta love these ladies so very much.


Kelly has managed to find a unique way to spot the lines in her top as she lays it out.  I wound never have come up with this.


Betsy's top, one more row going on.


The pouch makers are still at it and Kay is the recipient this time.  Obviously she can't keep track of her phone either.


Jennifer is laying out a top in the library and I'm in love with it and I have never truly embraced Kaffe Fassett.  Love, love, love it and can't wait to see the finish.


A slight change in attendance:  Frieda and Darlene had to depart a day early, letting Jennifer M. join the fun.


Jennifer M.  TA-DA


I attempted to help with lunch today, leaving Kay with a loss of half a dozen glasses.  Yep, if you're gonna do something, do it well.  Rocky and Val made a trip to town to replace them and add to the size selection.  They are true rescuers for me.

Additionally, earlier this week I loaned my fat quarter bag to Kay so that she could transport food back and forth between the houses.  She loved it so much that Val set to work making sure she had one of her own.  Love the smiles when she is gifted something and hope she knows just how much we love her.



It's late, but the room is still quite lively tonight. 


I am still plugging along on my CC units.  Slowly but surely.


Sherri has completed her third rug and a triple TA-DA is warranted.  WOW.


Susan with a gorgeous TA-DA


I have managed to complete my goals for today and am ready for some sleep. 

The last night picture is taken and I am immediately off to bed.  Silly, silly ladies.  Val and Paula just smile away while everyone else  . . . . .

Sunday  Good morning!!!  It is the last day and that has just such a sad ring to it.  I have a couple of things still on my list and am up and working right away.

Susan has another TA-DA with her plus blocks from the exchange


I am in the library with lots of help from Brenda and before I know it, Merry and Bright is sandwiched and ready to quilt.


It is instantly followed by the sandwiching of Christmas Lights.  I certainly have some work to do now.


Ana has her Twister Bag TA-DA


And by noon, everyone is gone, the place is packed up and we are out of here for 12 days.  I'll see y'all real soon and thanks to everyone for a grand 10 days.  Keep on creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment